• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An interesting (?) idea (1 Viewer)

yossi

I mostly use the CP4500 for digiscoping, sometimes the D100. One of the major problems with the 4500 is using the camera zoom fully from WA to tele with my spotters. Even the Maxview 40 did not allow me to go all the way to WA without vignetting. I bought from Scoptronics the 18mm and 14mm WA eyepieces with the 28mm thread, that allowed to use the cameras' zoom all the way, but at the tele end, the CA became too bad to be ignored.
It is very convenient to use the built-in zoom of the camera, so I was looking for another solution. Eventually, I found the eyepieces of Pentax - the XL7 and the XL21, and mounted them on my Swarovskis using the Plossl adapter. Qualitywise they are very good, enabling ALMOST full zoom range as they are very wide and have a very long eye relief. I went to my mechanic, and shortened the barrel of the eyepieces by ~ 6mm, very close to the rear element (crazy, I know). They now work like a charm, allowing full camera zoom from WA to tele.
Just an idea, that you may have known already.

Sounds like a good idea as long as you get a professional machinist to do it and don't want to risk losing a friend ;)

I think it may be unusual to obtain full camera zoom; 4-1 in your case. This might make fixed focal length eyepieces a yet more attractive proposition. I believe the CP995 is slightly sharper at wideangle but haven't seen tests on the CP4500.
I suppose having full zoom to wideangle might increase your chances of getting that "pearl", where everything technical comes together and you have a picture capable of serious enlargement. I believe these are most likely to occur at lower overall magnifications.

Been looking again at your D100 photos. Stunning. Perhaps you're still looking to produce a digiscoped picture that will stand happily alongside these. Then again, it seems the extra magnification in digiscoping tends often to produce pictures of a slightly different "character". Rather more like portraits.

BTW, I was wondering if you know why your pictures are in the Asia and Australia section of the gallery.

Thanks for the reply.
We are located in the middle east (unfortunately...ha ha ha), which is the western part of Asia. Maybe there's another place to put my photos, I'll look around. Most of my digiscoping work is not related to birding. I shoot lanscapes, people, sunsets, buildings - places where you cannot get closer to. For example, when you shoot lanscapes via a thick hot air "soup", like we have here, you get very artistic results, looking like an old painting. I like shooting birds, but on the fly, and digiscoping with the CP4500 is quite prohibitive in this matter. The D100 + my 80-400 or 500/4 are far better for this purpose. Anyway, I've uploaded a couple of photos recently, out of my CP and telescopes. I prefer action shots, therefore I'm sweating hard to adapt my D100 to a telescope.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back