• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendation (1 Viewer)

AlanF

I have the opportunity to purchase NIB Swarovski EL 8x32 T (Traveler model) made in 2009 (according to Swarovski) for $1600 or the EL 8x32 SV model for $2100 or a demo SV for $1950. Which would you recommend and why?

Now a little about me and their intended use:
I'm 48 and have noted a bit of change in my vision over the last few years and want a "top self" pair of binoculars.
I wear glasses.
I'm AD military and travel a bit.
Binoculars will be used about 75% of the time for birding/wildlife viewing and 25% hunting in a variety of settings from jungle to woodland, to wide open places.
Also would use the binoculars on top side as we enter various ports.
I've had the opportunity to look through the SV model indoors at a Cabela's.

So I'm trying to decide if the $500 difference would be worthwhile.

Thank you.
Alan

I have the opportunity to purchase NIB Swarovski EL 8x32 T (Traveler model) made in 2009 (according to Swarovski) for $1600 or the EL 8x32 SV model for $2100 or a demo SV for $1950. Which would you recommend and why?

I'm 48 and have noted a bit of change in my vision over the last few years and want a "top self" pair of binoculars.
I wear glasses.
Binoculars will be used about 75% of the time for birding/wildlife viewing and 25% hunting in a variety of settings from jungle to woodland, to wide open places.

Thank you.
Alan
IMO the SV's are easily worth the difference. What's another $500 to get the best when you are already spending $1600? Here is a pair of SV demos on Ebay for $1850 with shipping. Saves you $250 because you don't have to pay sales tax if you are buying local.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-E...048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41939293a8

Last edited:
Givern the choice between a Swarovision 8X32 EL and the prior non Swarovison model, I have to go along with Dennis and would easily choose the Swarovison. More so, I would go with the one in his link assuming it was imported by Swarovski USA. That way if it has any issues, (focus, etc), it will be addressed by Swarovski.

The one in the link is $1,840 after shipping, or $240 more than the non Swarovison model you mentioned. THe $1,600 price for that unit seems high to me, even though it is NIB. It will not remain that way once you get it and it will take a big hit in value. Consider it is a discountinued model replaced by a newer version many consider superior.

Please post back and let us know what you end up buying, how the deal went, and what you think of it.

Good luck on the deal.

The new SV are indeed visibly better than the older EL but i was not convinced until i started using the SV regularly. I would pay the price difference.
That being said, i used the old 8x32 EL birding and hunting for about 10 years. I would have been perfectly happy for another 20.

Added later: should you consider to purchase the older 8x32 EL, there is no reason to pay the high price of $1600. Good used samples are available often for around $1,000-1,200 on auction sites. I guess what i am saying is this: either go whole hog with a new SV, or get a pre-owned old EL.

Last edited:

I wear glasses.

Thank you.
Alan

I've tried a 2009 8x32 EL and liked it a lot, I believe that was the last year they made the non-SV model. Ergonomically, it works well for my large hands. The SV EL is a step up due to the field flatteners and likely more advanced coatings (not that the 2009's coatings were shabby, much better than earlier models), but personally, I don't think any birding bin is worth $2k, let alone more than $2K, but I'm in the minority on that opinion. One look through a Nikon SE or EII will prove you don't have to pay and arm and a leg and an ear for "binoculars on the top side." Ditto with the second-tier roofs others mentioned.

You should try the SV EL outdoors. Some people see 'rolling ball' with the SV EL even the 8x32 model, which has more distortion (pincushion) than the 8.5x and 10x42 models. So if you even if buy that demo, try it beforehand and pan outdoors along a treeline to see if there's any 'weird stuff" going on (meaning the image appears to roll over the edge of a globe near the edges and creates the sensation of movement). If you do experience this, it might take days to adjust to it or you may never adjust to it, more likely you will, so make sure you have two weeks to return the bin since it might take that long to adapt.

As others have remarked, $1,600 is steep for a an older EL. If you can get it for $1,200, that would be a good price, and will serve you well for your purposes.

brock

Well I've ordered a 8x32SV demo and it should be here on Friday or Saturday. Heading to the barrier islands next week with the family and look forward to giving this gear a go. Thanks.

Well I've ordered a 8x32SV demo and it should be here on Friday or Saturday. Heading to the barrier islands next week with the family and look forward to giving this gear a go. Thanks.
Let us know how you like it. Did you buy the one I sent you the link on Ebay?

Yes. Thank you. It was either a set from Eagle Optics or from the ebay company the later of which saved me $100+. I'll make some comments when I've had a chance to use them. Thanks again to all who took the time to offer guidance and advice.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back