• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 40D Screens (1 Viewer)

Pete58

Looking at moving up to a 40d soon.
I'm using a 400d with a 300mm lens and hate the autofocus. Has anyone tried the options with regard to the different focusing screens on the 40d. I would like to get back to using more manual focus but find this very difficult with the 400d.
Any information on the best screen to get with the 40d for manual focusing with a 300mm (sometimes with a 1.4x converter) would be appreciated.

If anyone has perchased a split screen would also be interested on how this performs.

Pete

I'm using a 100-400mm L IS and 1.4x with my 40D hence autofocus isn't an option when used with the teleconverter and I find the new Live View facility on the 40D can be a useful manual focusing aid. The image on the LCD can be magnified 5x or 10x but the obvious drawbacks are sunlight and when photographing moving subjects.

Looking at moving up to a 40d soon.
I'm using a 400d with a 300mm lens and hate the autofocus. Has anyone tried the options with regard to the different focusing screens on the 40d. I would like to get back to using more manual focus but find this very difficult with the 400d.
Any information on the best screen to get with the 40d for manual focusing with a 300mm (sometimes with a 1.4x converter) would be appreciated.

If anyone has perchased a split screen would also be interested on how this performs.

Pete

I transferred from the ordinary screen which came with the camera and changed it to the grid screen. Now my seascapes no longer have sloping horizons.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back