• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two New Springs (1 Viewer)

Renee Redstart

When we talked about the arrival of spring some time ago, it seemed reluctant to show its face in my garden. When I left it, over a couple of weeks ago, my Forsythia was just beginning to open its buds. As I arrived in France I noticed that theirs were in full bloom, glowingly yellow until just before we left, when they started to go brown. So when I arrived home yesterday, I was treated to another spring with my own Forsythia in all its glory.
“My” area of France is the Charente. It’s in the west about half way down, with its main town being Angouleme. It is very chalky and has the ideal soil for growing cognac vines, hence the town of Cognac is there too. Our little stone abode that we are renovating is of equal distance from both these towns, on the outer edge of a tiny hamlet deep in the vineyards and fields. The other fields alternate between growing sunflowers and wheat.
Their winter had been as never ending as ours, but had seen much more rain than I’d had in my neck of the woods at home. Some fields looked like paddy fields in parts, and there were streams where we never before realised there were streams. It was also much colder than we have ever known it to be there in April. The sun shone a lot as usual, but fleeces were very much needed! We have an orchard at the back of our garden, mainly with plums and cherries. When we arrived the plums looked unusually wintry for the time of year, but they blossomed while we were there and put on such a show I was reluctant to leave them. I’ve put on a photo of the orchard view so you’ll know why I love it so much.
We arrived during the afternoon of 3rd April, and the very next morning I saw my first Swallow fly over our garden. Then in the afternoon I saw another one, again on its own. Over the next few days they increased in number, although not to the extent we get them there in the summer. (Congrats Bill, I popped on and saw your Swallow post. I would have been jealous if I was at home.)
Walking in the local lanes was beautifully spring-like, with all the grassy banks and ditches full of masses of Cowslips. I found one or two Violets here and there, and what looked like a Snake’s-Head Fritillary in one ditch. We were disappointed not to spot the Hares in the fields this year, having gone out camera in hand this time. But there’s always next year. We did, however, see a Fox running across the field next to our orchard.
When we first visited this area in the spring, we were introduced to the odd sight of the dormant vines. They look as if they are dead; they are just like black twigs with their ‘arms’ hung out over the wires. I have included a picture of one of the banks of Cowslips by the Vineyards to show you what it all looks like.
While sitting in the garden spring was all around us, with bees and butterflies on the plum blossoms (there are plums in the garden too, in fact it’s very much plum city there and my work is cut out in the summer with bottling etc.) We had a Small Tortoiseshell (I had mistakenly thought this was a Fritillary before, but have now got my prints back and I've scanned it in and added it below) and a Red Admiral, the latter always being a very regular visitor in the summer.
One or two mornings saw a mist over the fields behind the vines that we see from where our back door would be if we had one (another job for us soon), and I’ve put on a picture of that too. We left there in the mist on Tuesday morning, to arrive home in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

So we come to 7.30am on Wednesday when I went out with my usual morning ground feed to see how my garden at home was doing. First thing I saw was one of my lady Blackbirds gathering nesting material. Later in the day I caught a glimpse of a Blackbird taking nesting material to the ivy clad bushes where they built a nest last year. I don’t think anything came of it last year, so I hope it will this time. Most of my regulars turned up yesterday, including my beloved Song Thrush and a LTT. More of the usual spring flowers in bloom since I was here, so I’m going to enjoy another spring!

I turned into a nagging wife while in France. I’m nagging for a digital SLR to improve my bird shots, and hoping we will get one in time for our summer stint there. I have some normal digital shots which I’m putting on now, but the so-called close-ups of birds (don’t hold your breath!) were done on a print film. When I get my prints, I’ll sort and scan them and write my Bird Report of the Charente. The report will be in two parts; Birds that I get in both places, and Birds I only get there. So please bear with me while I sort myself out.

Attachments

• cowslips and vines.jpg
    cowslips and vines.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 30
  • orchard from house.jpg
    orchard from house.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 31
  • orchard view to mons.jpg
    orchard view to mons.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 29
  • april mist over vineyards.jpg
    april mist over vineyards.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 27
  • small tortoiseshell.jpg
    small tortoiseshell.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hi Renee.

When I saw the title I thought you were having trouble with your car. LOL!! What an amazing contrast to that statement your post turned out to be: you make it all sound so idyllic. I love your photos, particularly the bank of Cowslips, so evocative of times gone by when they were so common in England that one didn't have to stray too far from towns and cities to see them in abundance.
I wish I had the courage and the wherewithal to do what you have done, but I guess even if I had, age might not be on my side, and Pam would not take the risk, so I suppose it will remain a dream.
Thank you so much for a beautiful post which I thoroughly enjoyed reading, even if with a little longing in my heart. The best of luck with your renovation, and may you have many, many years to enjoy it.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Renée :hi: , what a lovely place to be!

It looks and sounds a delight, and what a beautiful view of the landscape you have from your garden. Hope you didn't work too hard whilst you were there! ;)

The Cowslips look a picture, I think they are so pretty! You must take some pictures for us when you return in the summer of the Sunflower fields.

Lovely to read about 'your' area of France Renée, and I shall look forward to your Bird report. |=)|

Thank you so much Baz for your kind comments. And I did rather think the title looked funny after I'd posted it. I thought people might think I was now going along boing a boing a boing!
One of the reasons we fell in love with this part of France was the feeling of bygone days. We walk along the country roads with no traffic, or perhaps the odd car or post van, waving to the post lady who knows us, like Postman Pat. When walking on our own patch from home in Northampton along what used to be quiet country lanes, we hear the zoom zoom of cars all the time, and have to frequently step off the side of the road.
As for taking any risk, we were so very very lucky to buy a property in 2000 for little more than the price of an average family car. Now however, the prices have risen, and we wouldn't be able to afford it. It's a lot of hard work, but well well worth it. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading about it.

Hi Renee,
How greedy is that TWO Springs!!
Welcome back. Enjoyed your post and will await your report with great anticipation. My daughter lives in France, the Midi-Pyrenees area, not being very good at Geography (abysmal actually) is that anywhere near where you were/have your house? She has said the same about the Winter but they are now revelling in warm sunshine, 20c and more at times! Will it ever come here those temperatures? It's struggling to get into double figures at all here at the mo.! OOOOH gosh just been and checked the temp. and it's 15c!! Wow!
All the best,Judo.

Judo said:
Hi Renee,
How greedy is that TWO Springs!!
Welcome back. Enjoyed your post and will await your report with great anticipation. My daughter lives in France, the Midi-Pyrenees area, not being very good at Geography (abysmal actually) is that anywhere near where you were/have your house?
All the best,Judo.

Yes, I am greedy aren't I? But I did have to go all the way to France to see Buzzards flying over, not like some people! The Pyrenees are well south of my spot Judo. You'll have to get your daughter to send us bird and nature reports from there to add to the interest.

Renee Redstart said:
Yes, I am greedy aren't I? But I did have to go all the way to France to see Buzzards flying over, not like some people! The Pyrenees are well south of my spot Judo. You'll have to get your daughter to send us bird and nature reports from there to add to the interest.

Thank you for a beautifully descriptive post, Renée, it almost made me want to desert Brittany and move the the Charente! We still haven't had much warmth up here but are living in hopes as the Swallows arrive and the Cuckoos wake us up in the mornings! And as for violets, this is an amazing year for them and there are large patches on the sides of the lane where I live, so if it ever stops raining, I'll be out with the camera!

Pam

Last edited:
Paminfra said:
And as for violets, this is an amazing year for them and there are large patches on the sides of the lane where I live, so if it ever stops raining, I'll be out with the camera!

Pam

Yes please Pam, do post us some photos of your lanes with violets. I'd love to see them. I did literally only see a couple of violets down 'my' way, and they are amongst my favourite flowers. And any other pictures of your Brittany wildlife and birds would be very welcome.

Pam_m said:
Hi Renée :hi: , what a lovely place to be!

Hope you didn't work too hard whilst you were there! ;)

|=)|

No Pam, we didn't work too hard! Our times there are always a fair balance of hard work and total relaxation. I took advantage of every single sunny morning to breakfast outside and instead of just 'stand and stare' I sat and stared, binoculars and two cameras at the ready. Breakfast staring often lasted until very late morning!

Hi Renee and welcome back.
That was a lovely read. I enjoyed it very much. Great photos too ~ and I agree ~ you must post pics of the sunflowers and violets next time, (especially a whole field of sunflowers :bounce: ) Look forward to reading your bird report.

Best Wishes

Oh....and good luck with your nesting blackbirds :D

Dizzy said:
Hi Renee and welcome back.
That was a lovely read. I enjoyed it very much. Great photos too ~ and I agree ~ you must post pics of the sunflowers and violets next time, (especially a whole field of sunflowers :bounce: ) Look forward to reading your bird report.

Best Wishes

Oh....and good luck with your nesting blackbirds :D

Oh alright then! If you all insist, I'll put on a summer picture I took a few years ago to show the sunflowers, even though it's not a spring thing. The field of sunflowers I was standing in has wheat every other year, and this year it's wheat. It is the green you can see on the other photo with the mist.
I'm also putting some violets on, a picture which I hadn't thought was good enough to show really. But it's Pam's violets I would really like to see.

I also forgot to mention originally, that another sign of the arrival of spring out there, is the appearance of Lizards. We have them running around the outside of the houses and in and out of cracks in the stone walls. I'll never get a photo of them because they're too fast.

Attachments

• back of house from sunflower field.jpg
    back of house from sunflower field.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Violets.jpg
    Violets.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 25
Hi again Renee,
Love the Violets, they were my Mams favourite flowers,so I too would enjoy to see Pams photos. Re. the lizards are they anything like this one? this is a photo my daughter sent of one of their house Lizards. Also one of a Tree frog which they have in abundance!
All the best, Judo.

Attachments

• house lizard.jpg
    house lizard.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Treefrog.jpg
    Treefrog.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 21
Judo said:
Hi again Renee,
Love the Violets, they were my Mams favourite flowers,so I too would enjoy to see Pams photos. Re. the lizards are they anything like this one? this is a photo my daughter sent of one of their house Lizards. Also one of a Tree frog which they have in abundance!
All the best, Judo.

I'll do my best but this morning, yet again, it is grey, cool and wet - now I know violets photograph best photographed in duller weather to get good colour saturation but......!!!

Pam.

Hi girls! I quite understand Pam, you don't want to suffer saturation for your art!

Judo, if that lizard is on normal sized tiles, then it looks about right. They're only small aren't they? I love lizards, and they are my alternative to newts when I'm away and missing my pond.

Renee Redstart said:
Hi girls! I quite understand Pam, you don't want to suffer saturation for your art!

Judo, if that lizard is on normal sized tiles, then it looks about right. They're only small aren't they? I love lizards, and they are my alternative to newts when I'm away and missing my pond.

Well I hope two violet pictures are attached - not that good given the breeze and the damp but IF they appear, you may get some idea.....

Attachments

• violets 004.jpg
    violets 004.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 28
  • violets 002.jpg
    violets 002.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Paminfra said:
Well I hope two violet pictures are attached - not that good given the breeze and the damp but IF they appear, you may get some idea.....

Oh lovely Pam! They're really beautiful, thank you. Hope you didn't get too wet yourself!
:clap: :t:

Hi Renee

What a wonderful post! :clap: I really enjoyed reading it on what is a dull morning in the north east. Great pics too, especially the one of the Tortoiseshell Butterflies. I shall read it again as I think it paints a wonderful picture of an area you clearly love. I think it would be nice if someone was able to put together, into some kind of collection, some of the posts that are made on xbeebers. I think we get a real good cross section of topics in various styles, from people of all ages who all clearly share a great love of the nature that surrounds them. Thanks and I shall look forwrd to up dates. Do you do B+B? ;)
As for my novel, don't worry as it is not compulsory reading although I may set a small test just to see if members have taken it in. LOL

Best wishes, where ever your Spring and Summer may be.

Very enjoyable to read about your home in France. The Charente is a lovely area and I envy you having a home there. Maybe one day ...

Lovely pics, particularly the last one.

Thanks Renee...the sunflowers are wonderful...looks such a beautiful place altogether..you are lucky...and both your own and Pams violets are just gorgeous too.

Best wishes

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back