• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski CL Pocket 10X25 B Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Raptor 01

Hello, I'm considering buying a pair of Swarovski CL 10 x 25 binoculars. One advertiser is selling them as Swarovski CL Pocket 10X25 B Binoculars. Could a kind person enlighten me as to what the B stands for please ? At first I thought it stands for black but the picture shows green. I did try the Swarovski website but it's currently being updated.

Many thanks.

Hello, I'm considering buying a pair of Swarovski CL 10 x 25 binoculars. One advertiser is selling them as Swarovski CL Pocket 10X25 B Binoculars. Could a kind person enlighten me as to what the B stands for please ? At first I thought it stands for black but the picture shows green. I did try the Swarovski website but it's currently being updated.

Many thanks.

Equipted for spectacle wearers (Briltragers).

Jan

Hi Raptor, I bought the 8x25 version of these, I don't usually get on well with compacts, but they are really good, best compact binocular I have used, bright and sharp and comfortable eye cups. I chose 8x as I find 10x is too difficult to keep a steady image these days, I'm getting on a bit.

I also just got a pair of the 8x25's and they are fantastic. They have the longest eye relief I could find which was my key driver as an eye glass wearer. Had considered the new Zeiss Terra compacts, but since they don't seem to be available yet I started looking hard at the Swarovski's....no regrets.;)

Hi Raptor, I bought the 8x25 version of these, I don't usually get on well with compacts, but they are really good, best compact binocular I have used, bright and sharp and comfortable eye cups. I chose 8x as I find 10x is too difficult to keep a steady image these days, I'm getting on a bit.

Agreed! I'm use to and comfortable with full size SLC10x42's to EL10x50 SV's, no problems getting a steady hold for clear views. However, even with my CL 8x25's, I really have a hard time with bino shake and stabilizing my FOV due to their much lighter weight and smaller grip profile....Very glad I didn't get the 10x25's! :eek!:

Ted

A year ago I purchased the Swarovski 8x25s for use on non birding holidays and am very very impressed with them. Prefer the wider field of view of the 8x to the 10x. Am looking forward to using them for bird watching in Central Park NY in a couple of weeks time.

Make sure the ones that they are selling are really the Pocket CL, the previous versions go by Pocket B. The B designation being somewhat redundant these days as most have sufficient IR for spectacle wearers.

I can attest that the 8x25 are a great binocular. A little heavier than I expected, the double hinge can be fiddly, and the eye cups don't stay extended at intermediate distances very well at all. I used o-rings of just the right thickness to create a seamless extension that looks like a factory design. I use a shim to set IPD quickly, centered, and to keep it set when needed. The weight while heavier than expected for the compact is really nothing to carry around all day even on a neck strap.

Side-by-side tests have not disappointed me yet even when I expected to be. They perform best close to mid range, not the sharpest or best contrast at infinity.

I'd like to see how the 10x perform, as I was tempted for a while to get the 10x.

A year ago I purchased the Swarovski 8x25s for use on non birding holidays and am very very impressed with them. Prefer the wider field of view of the 8x to the 10x. Am looking forward to using them for bird watching in Central Park NY in a couple of weeks time.

You should visit Arthur while you're there, Central Park is his birding grounds. He knows all the good spots to bird and the places to avoid getting mugged. :smoke:

Brock

Just another vote for the 8x rather than 10x. Three reasons:

1) Field of view. 357ft versus 294ft. 63 extra ft is a big difference. I tried a Pentax 9x28 with a spec of 294ft and it felt like a tunnel for birding, or anything else really. They were returned within a day or two. No doubt the Swaro has a better apparent field of view than the Pentax, but 294ft is still going to feel narrow in the end.

2) Shake. At 12.2 ounces these are very light and can be shaky. 10x just exaggerates that.

3) Exit pupil. Going from 2.5mm to 3mm doesn't sound like much but in my experience it makes a difference in terms of "fiddliness." A 3mm exit pupil can still be "fiddly" for getting the binos lined up quickly (especially if you wear glasses, perhaps not so bad if you don't) but I've concluded 3mm is just my own minimum. Nothing less for me.

If you can get them side-by-side you can make your own call.

I've tried A LOT of compacts over the years (still own four) and have settled on the Pocket as my favorite. It's a sweet little bino.

Mark

You should visit Arthur while you're there, Central Park is his birding grounds. He knows all the good spots to bird and the places to avoid getting mugged. :smoke:

Brock
Thanks Brock very considerate of you.But I understand Arthur is on holiday until 10th. I anticipated joining the "Bob the Birder" group on Sunday 13th. We're only in New York for a week, so busy schedule seeing the obvious tourist sites. Our last visit last year (May) included "Top of the Rock" in low cloud and a very cold river cruise.
The highlight was visiting "The White Horse Tavern" in Greenwich Village. Shades of Dylan Thomas, Liam Clancy and Bob Dylan. The BBC did two really good programmes about Dylan Thomas on his 100th anniversary, a play entitled "Dylan Thomas in New York" his final few days. A production of "Under Milk Wood" starring a variety of Welsh stars/celebs including Tom Jones, Charlotte Church, Katherine Jenkins and others which includes scenes shot in the White Horse Tavern. Great pub!
Back to birding I enjoy reading Arthur's view from his Manhattan Window, lucky chap. Fond memories of my brief visit to New York last year.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back