• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Black-Backed Gulls (1 Viewer)

Am I right in thinking that is the afterbirth they are tucking in to?
Have seen GGBGs dispatching rabbits, usually walk right up to them and wallop right on the top of the head - rabbits just didn't know what hit em. Also seen near here, but not by me, GBBG tearing a live wigeon to pieces - no messing around killing it first just pulled wings legs etc off while the victim was still alive - not nice!

Once pulled a trapped Lesser bbg out of a refuse skip or rather it grabbed my fingers and I was able to hoik it out - really glad I had thick gloves on!

Cheers

Dave

G BB Gulls ave no problems in killing adult rabbits and birds their own size almost such as Ibis, Geese and Shelduck. The only thing that amazes me is how a Gull can be swift enough to catch a rabbit.

They predate adult rabbit in Scotland. Would Hare be out of the question unless huting in 2's?

what was the size of the rabbits u seen the gbb gulls take? I only hear of them taking young rabbits?

Am I right in thinking that is the afterbirth they are tucking in to?

Once pulled a trapped Lesser bbg out of a refuse skip or rather it grabbed my fingers and I was able to hoik it out - really glad I had thick gloves on!

Cheers

Dave

I hope it is afterbirth! G BB Gulls are more than capable of killing seal pups I guess if the parents are nt there to protect.

People talk of Gull bite - how powerful is it?

gbb gull i dont think can take an adult shelduck or wombat by itself if they r healthy

i have a hard time believing that one could take an adult rabbit

Lone Carrion Crows can sometimes make Sparrowhawks including females leave their kills so what would make it impossible for a a G B B Gull to force a Goshawk off a kill if it was feeding in the open. G B B Gulls can force Osprey' to drop their fish?

It might not happen regularly but surely it does happen?

GBBG v WT Eagle

Now in February the Great Black-backed gulls are setting up their territories.
Here is one chasing a White-tailed Eagle off "his" rock....

For more pictures of GBBG see here

Attachments

• WT_eagle_0792_e.jpg
    WT_eagle_0792_e.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 105
More GBBG in action pics

Here are a couple more pictures of GBBG.
One going after a Gannet and another eating a dead lamb

Attachments

• Gannet_GBBG_5426_e.jpg
    Gannet_GBBG_5426_e.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 116
  • GBBG_6297_e.jpg
    GBBG_6297_e.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back