• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snow Bunting confusion (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Saw a bird earlier today that I've not seen before and from my notes I've now id'd as a Snow Bunting, but as it wasn't the best sighting ever I'm wondering if there are any possible similar birds that it could be ?

My book says Lapland & Reed Buntings are similar, but it wasn't either of them.

Description - Large white shoulder areas ~ half length of wing, dark (black ?) wing ends and white sided tail. A streaked brown back ( Reed Bunting style ). Whiteish belly. Light brownish cheek patch surrounded by whiter C shape. Odd dumpy sort of walk, with a white elbow (?) patch showing as it walks.

I can't help you with that particularly, Carlos, but I believe the Snow Bunting's beak can be a helpful id feature.

Any details...

(Even if so, you'll have to wait for someone else to confirm your sighting... Good Luck!)

Hi Carlos,

Whereabouts?

There's already been several Snow Buntings in Norfolk in the last few days - four at Gt Yarmouth, seven at Horsey Gap beach, two at Holme. All on the coast, perhaps inevitably (that's where they usually are) (and I'd expect some more today, what with the N winds starting up)

Michael

Sorry Michael I meant to put that in the orig post. Was just out of Yarmouth, along the southern edge of Breydon. TG 510 076

Approx 1.5 miles in a straight line from the sea

Never got a look at its beak. Sounds a useful pointer for next time though Birdman

Hi Tim - Yes, again something else I should have put in the orig post.

As it flew across the river the call was just that - ''rolling chirruppy'' ..... can't think of a better way to describe it.

I did go down the library & various websites afterwards and I'm satisfied that was a correct id, thanks for the reply

Last edited:
Just had a look at my new "Collins".

A bit after the event I know, but from your description I would take the bird as a 1st winter male Snow Bunting.

Would you agree?

(Regarding the bill, Collins shows it as light for 1w, but in the full adult, both male and female are shown Black.)

birdman said:
(Regarding the bill, Collins shows it as light for 1w, but in the full adult, both male and female are shown Black.)

Hi Birdman,

The bill is black in the breeding season, yellow-pink in the winter, all ages; a seasonal change. Agreed, Carlos' description does sound good.

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
The bill is black in the breeding season, yellow-pink in the winter, all ages; a seasonal change.
That will explain why it is pale in Mitchell Beazleyn then!

Cheers Michael.

:t:

Look out for Twite & Lapland Bunting along the south shore at Breydon. Don't do what some idiot did on Sunday & call up a White winged Lark for Snow Buntings.

CJ

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back