• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Silent Spring? (UK) (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi All,

I was just wondering how things are shaping up with the Spring migrants.... here in SE Surrey things have got off to a pretty slow start with most things arriving late and in smaller numbers than usual. It's not a straightforward picture though...

Some early species (Chiffs and Blackcaps) got here early (maybe before weather took a hand?) and are in good numbers.

Some other species (like Lesser Whitethroats and Swifts) seemed to arrive pretty-much on time and in reasonable numbers.

Most species though have trickled in weeks later than usual and in pretty small numbers - but even then it's not a simple picture, as areas of excellent habitat seem to have reasonable numbers of birds, but other places where the habitat isn't as good, but has been good enough in previous years is seeming pretty empty of life in 2012.

A couple of examples: I survey a complex of small lakes and ponds - about 30 acres, and last year I did a walk on May 4th and counted 12 Reed Warblers and 9 Garden Warblers. Did a similar walk this year and had 1 Garden Warbler. I've only seen one House Martin so far this year. I did a 3 mile walk around our local area, taking in probably 10 miles of hedgerows etc and had 3 Whitethroats!

I am taking part in the BTO Nightingale survey and have a piece of prime habitat as my main area, which is currently hosting 5 singing males, but I have also checked about 10 other places - not quite as good but held birds in either 2010 or 2011, and so far only found 3 to be occupied (and it was only 1 until I found 2 birds this morning!)

So.... a very mixed picture, but it doesn't feel very good!!

How's it looking in your area? ...and any theories why things are a bit slow this year....

All the best.... Ray

I suspect its the poor spring weather. I have found it more profitable to do CBC surveys late morning than at sunrise. i suspect the wet cold conditions have resulted in very low insect populations and the birds have to feed first thing before starting to sing later in the day. Plenty of chiffchaffs and a sprinkling of blackcaps , but its only this week that blackcap have turned up in numbers along with the 1st garden warblers. Its the same story with whitethroat. Swallows have been passing along the coast for several weeks in good numbers , but its only in the past few days they have arrived inland in my patch of N Norfolk. First turtle dove in Suffolk last weekend , but yet to hear a Norfolk bird this year.

I still early spring as far as the plants are concerned around me. The oaks have only 10-20% canopy cover so far , almost no leaf burst from alder or ash yet , primroses at their peak , bluebells not quite at their peak yet and many late spring plants as yet not come into flower.

Not seen any young blackbirds yet , but the first juv long tailed tits been about for a few days.

Yes, it's a very mixed picture....

As rgds UK residents, I have seen juvenile Robins, Blackbird, Starling, Collared Dove and Pied Wag - looks like the residents got off to an early start in the unseasonably warm weather we were having in March, but a very diffferent picture for the migrants.

In my own local patch, the only passerines that we have are Chiffs and Blackcaps - did have sightings of a couple of Lesser Whitethroats 1-2 weeks ago, but they seem to have moved elsewhere now too.

Just trying to get a feel for how it's looking elsewhere in the UK.....

I get the feeling the floodgates started to open this last weekend (5th-8th May) on the Hampshire coast. Migrants seemed to be present in better numbers during my weekly walks compared with April. I wonder who is benefitting from our birds at the moment. They must be stacked up somewhere along the route, or are they happily bypassing us and heading through mainland Europe / Scandinavia?
Funny, I don't think I have ever seen the same Spring twice in 20+ years! Certainly isn't predictable.

Big arrival of blackcap , garden warblers and whitethroats in the last day or so along with some more swallows in inland N Norfolk.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back