• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Spectacular Book On Arctic Birds, Wildlife and Arctic Habitat (1 Viewer)

Upland Birder

Birding On The Edge
:hi: Hi all

I have just aquired another book that should interest all birders and anyone with an interest in Ornithology, bird watching and arctic wildlife.. Like many of you out there I simply love collecting birds and wildlife books!!!!

The book is called "A Complete Guide To Arctic WildLife' by Richard Sale and is a HELM publication.

It is an excellent guide to the Arctic, its birds, mammals-thats 213 birs species and 77 mammals. There are 450 photographs, 294 maps and 38 colours plates illustrating all the birds and mammals of the region.

The species accounts describe id features, confusuion species, voice/communication, distribution, diet and breeding biology.

The book is packed with information and the photos are stunning.

The book is going to be a classic in its own right

The book also looks in detail at the geology, climate, ecology and peoples of the Arctic, the regions exploration and exploitation, and thrests to it from climate change and pollution.

Once you get a copy you wont want to put it down. It has that wow factor!!!

In terms of Arctic birds it covers the following:-

Divers
Grebes
Albatrosses,petrals and allies
Cormorants
Wildfowl
-Swans
-geese
-Ducks
Raptors
Grouse
Cranes
Waders
-Plovers
-Stints and Sandpipers
-Snipes and dowitchers
-Curlews, godwits and allies
-Turnstones
-Phalaropes
Skuas
Gulls
Terns
Auks
Owls
Kingfishers
swallows
Pipits and Wagtails
Thrushes and chats
Warblers, tits and chikadees
Crows
New World warblers
New world sparrows and buntings
Finches.

When I look at some of the species that have migrated here from the Arctic I often think about the habitat they have left behind or are about to return to and this book helps.

Dean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back