• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Morocco / Western Sahara ...another info request (1 Viewer)

Jos Stratford

Eastern Exile
Staff member
United Kingdom
Having given up on the Algeria idea, got myself a real cheap ticket to Marrakesh (just £39), so now have a month or so in Morocco. Planning to visit the southern sites for Desert Sparrow and the like, but then fancy a trip down to the real south, i.e. into Western Sahara / Mauritanian border.

Seems a doddle to get down right as far as Dakhla on the Tropic of Cancer and beyond, but anybody been birding down there? (Or, for that matter, in Mauritania - as the visa is easily obtainable on the border).

Last edited:
Might be worth a PM to mehdhalaouate , he is from Morocco. He has been with BF from its early days and is a regular contributor to the gallery and threads.

If there is anything to know about birds in the area he should be able to tell you.

Last edited:
Alec Lees has a note in the latest BB about birds along a road from Dakhla to somewhere else in the south - Dunn's Lark, Black-crowned Finch-lark, etc. Must be worth contacting him.

Steve

Tim Allwood said:
Jos - Do you want a scan of Alex' paper? I think it's well worth having

Thanks Steve and Tim, yes, a scan of that would be good. I will also try to contact Alex for tips.

Just over the border in Mauritania, Blue-naped Mousebird has also been recorded at an oasis. That would be a good one to see in the Western Palearctic.

If you can read a little French, look for a page of Moroccan Ornithological Society or similar. There was such several years ago and helpful. Especially contacts.

You can also contact some Dutch who got WP Mousebird in Mauritania - in Dutch Birding. Unfortunately, don't have their contact.

I thought about going to Banc d'Arguin in Mauritania some years ago, but apparently it needs lots of logistics - 4WD with spare petrol and water tanks etc. Magical place, though - a third of WP waders, oodles of other birds, desert meets sea, local Imraugen people fishing when wading with fish jumping overhead etc.

Last edited:
The only problem might be finding Mehd. The last time I heard he was in Buru (Indonesia). He might be back by now but I haven't seen him active anywhere on the web lately so maybe not.

jurek said:
You can also contact some Dutch who got WP Mousebird in Mauritania - in Dutch Birding. Unfortunately, don't have their contact.
It was actually a group of Belgians who saw the Blue-naped Mousebirds in the oasis east of Atar - they noted them in January a couple of years ago but I think that was their first sighting of this species (and Cricket Longtail) in 3 visits. A group of Brits were out there this year in January and there was no sign of either species at the oasis (that's within the WP). I'll be giving it a go in December though.

jurek said:
I thought about going to Banc d'Arguin in Mauritania some years ago, but apparently it needs lots of logistics - 4WD with spare petrol and water tanks etc. Magical place, though - a third of WP waders, oodles of other birds, desert meets sea, local Imraugen people fishing when wading with fish jumping overhead etc.
Logistically, I don't think 'Westerners' can independently hire cars in Mauretania but to go so far as to say that it's a mission to get to Banc D'Arguin may be exagerating things a little. I believe there's actually an asphalt road at least from Nouackchott up the coast nearly all the way to the Banc D'Arguin. To get to the interior, I understand a decent 'sand driver' is a necessity...

Cheers

Rich

cuckooroller said:
The only problem might be finding Mehd. The last time I heard he was in Buru (Indonesia). He might be back by now but I haven't seen him active anywhere on the web lately so maybe not.
This reply from Mehds wife Lena was put on a gallery picture when I made reference to this thread.
"
Mehd is still in Papua (after some time in BURU and Yamdena(Tanimbar) - hopefully he will get back to Java/Bali in a week or so "

So you may find out something from him still.

Marmot said:
This reply from Mehds wife Lena was put on a gallery picture when I made reference to this thread.
"
Mehd is still in Papua (after some time in BURU and Yamdena(Tanimbar) - hopefully he will get back to Java/Bali in a week or so "

So you may find out something from him still.

Thanks Marmot, I'm not going til December, so I'll wait for him to surface, then PM him

Jos Stratford said:
... fancy a trip down to the real south, i.e. into Western Sahara / Mauritanian border.

Seems a doddle to get down right as far as Dakhla on the Tropic of Cancer and beyond, but anybody been birding down there? (Or, for that matter, in Mauritania - as the visa is easily obtainable on the border).
According to a post on EBN today, Pierre-André Crochet has just got back from Mauretania, finding Upland and Buff-breasted Sandpipers on the way back near Casablanca.

Might be a good idea to get an email to him?

Cheers,

Andy.

Andrew Rowlands said:
According to a post on EBN today, Pierre-André Crochet has just got back from Mauretania, finding Upland and Buff-breasted Sandpipers on the way back near Casablanca.

Might be a good idea to get an email to him?

Cheers,

Andy.

Cheers, but what is EBN?

jurek said:
If you can read a little French, look for a page of Moroccan Ornithological Society or similar. There was such several years ago and helpful. Especially contacts.

French company, Pointe Afrique, organises trips to Banc d'Arguin.

Rich Bonser said:
Logistically, I don't think 'Westerners' can independently hire cars in Mauretania but to go so far as to say that it's a mission to get to Banc D'Arguin may be exagerating things a little. I believe there's actually an asphalt road at least from Nouackchott up the coast nearly all the way to the Banc D'Arguin. To get to the interior, I understand a decent 'sand driver' is a necessity...

Backpackers are making it through without their own cars and on very small budgets ... there is always a way through. If I get into Mauritania, I wouldn't want to go to Banc D'Arguin, but rather inland to one of the oasis. There is a train that goes inland, might take passengers.

Jos Stratford said:
Backpackers are making it through without their own cars and on very small budgets ... there is always a way through. If I get into Mauritania, I wouldn't want to go to Banc D'Arguin, but rather inland to one of the oasis. There is a train that goes inland, might take passengers.

Indeed there's always a way... nowhere (well, almost) is truly inaccessible these days so good luck.

I presume the train you're referring to is the Choum 'iron ore train' - have a look at http://www.hansrossel.com/africa/mauritania.html if you haven't already. In theory you can hook up with it and get dropped off at Atar. Getting to the oasis at Aghmakou (presume this is the one you're referring to) may prove difficult from there though without reliable transport through the desert. Though you may know more than I do.

Anyway, I'll be heading to the oasis at Aghmakou during my visit - we've probably only just seen the tip of the iceberg here I suspect.

Cheers and good birding

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back