• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Testing prime focus digiscoping setups (1 Viewer)

Great Paul - I'll be working on it. I should be able to find time today or at the latest tomorrow.

Lots of thanks !
Jules

I think I've found a solution. On the link below is a basic Imatest chart and it's in SVG format. It has all the parts we need and can be edited with an SVG editor to form your own chart. There's also a link for a free SVG editor which I've been playing around with this morning. It should be pretty simple to come up with a new chart similar to what we have now and be in the highest quality possible.

To give everyone a fair chance at printing it should be made available in SVG format and say a TIFF format but not jpeg. With the free SVG editor there's no reason for anyone not being able to print at the highest quality possible on their printer an if needs be they can just use the TIFF.

Link with charts and useful info on editing, printing etc. http://www.imatest.com/docs/testcharts_SFR_SVG.html

Chart is here http://www.imatest.com/docs/images/small_chart_contrast_20.svg

Free SVG editor http://www.inkscape.org/

They have the SVG file available as a PDF too and it's loads bigger than the ISO12233 chart. I opened it in Photoshop at something like 1200 dpi and it came up very good, way better the the ISO12233 one, not as perfect as the SVG though.

Paul.

Paul,

Spent quite a bit of time testing this solution and I can't get it to work well.

It's fine on the monitor but does not print well. The JPEGs I have supplied are as good if not better under the loupe.

Another problem with Inkscape is that it is difficult to get it to print all objects. There seems to be a bug in the printing routine. Making a target like our V. 3 is easy, getting it to print is a nightmare...

Have you been able to print the chart ? Can you resolve the 20 size on the print ?

Because I need to finish a painting for this Friday I haven't been able to devote any time to this so it's going to be next week before I can have a look. I'm away at a wedding over the weekend too. It's a shame as the weather is great here at the moment and I can't get out with the scope. :-C

Paul.

same issues here,, Vist on the new HP would not allow the SVC file to be saved,, tried on the wifes laptop and saved but the output is not good,,

Derry

No... this project is not dead. Paul and I have been quite busy lately. We are presently working by email to come up with a new target, hopefully the last one. We will also propose a formula to calculate the "Effective Resolution" of a digiscoping setup to compare different setups and configurations in terms of resolution.

Make and model of DSLR: Pentax k20d
Make and model of scope: Celestron C5
Type, make and model of camera adapter: T-Ring with celestron T-adapter
Length of spacer needed to reach focus: T-adapter 2"
Focal length of complete setup in mm: i'm not sure. celestron page say's 1250mm (1850mm with 1,5crop factor)
Measured distance between target and telescope in meters: 20m
Evaluated resolution number:
Speed setting of camera: 1/10 sec
ISO: 100 (Should use higher iso but forgot)
Original picture format (RAW, JPG) and resolution (mpx) RAW 14,6mp
Date and time: 15th august 18.20
Weather conditions (sun and wind): Shade, slight breez.
Other pertinent information: target 19x24cm bad printout on copy paper

can anyone tell me the focal lenght with my setup?
http://www.celestron.com/c2/product.php?CatID=30&ProdID=207#specs

Attachments

• hele.jpg
    hele.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 111
  • crop.jpg
    crop.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 138
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back