• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon el 530 offer Jacobs (1 Viewer)

Swampy Mike

Jacobs are doing a Velbon el 530 carbon fibre tripod with a ph250 pan/tilt head (magnesium) for under £100 - sounds good to me, but anyone used one of these?

Well, it arrived today: not bad eh? (c. 18hrs since the order went in!)

First impressions very favourable - seems solid, robust & comes with a "limited lifetime guarantee". Will take it in the field soon.

A saving of £200 on a £300 tripod - can't complain at that!!

Last edited:
tripod

I thought it looked good - saw one in Westminster Jacobs the other day, and have reserved one for pickup in Birmingham tomorrow!
(I get about a bit!)

Cheers for the heads up for this tripod. Going to have a look at one today. Seems to be the cheapest around.

A wee update. Popped into Jacobs between classes and got one. They have them on offer in store too.
I like the look of it and it should be sturdy enough for my scope although it is my first set up so who knows.
The head moves smoothly and locks quickly. My scope should arrive tomorrow so I'll go out for a bash between assignments.

Last edited:
I used mine for some jupiter watching last night. The tripod itself was nice and steady but I found the head moved a bit in the wind. It also has a tiny bit of play when viewing objects high up so to view Jupiter I would have it out of the field of view, the head would move back a little bit and then jupiter would be in the centre.

I am still most happy with it though and I'll be trying it out today (53mph gusts) along the Lothian coast. :D

velbon carbon fibre tripod

Hi everyone.
With regard to the bargain Jacobs carbon fibre tripod, can anyone tell me whether it is suitable for a tall person (6foot 2) and heavy equipment (Skywatcher scope plus camera)

Cheers.
John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back