• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chuffed! now proud owner of a 500mm f4 vr (1 Viewer)

fender

Hello all,

I was able recently to buy an AFS 500mm f4 G ED VR lens and now just need the bad weather and flooding to subside so that i can get out in the field to use it!

I have taken some shots through my double glazed windows of the garden birds and i am very impressed with the results and hope to improve more as i become familiar with the lens. I have seen some excellent photo's taken with this...both on the forum and elsewhere. I will be using it with my D300. Below are a few photo's taken yesterday.

Regards,

Phil.

Attachments

• DSC_7100.jpg
    DSC_7100.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_7104.jpg
    DSC_7104.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC_7106.jpg
    DSC_7106.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC_7181.jpg
    DSC_7181.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 187
Congrats, you will love it - it is an amazing piece of glass.

Although there are times I wished I had a 600mm f4.0, the 500mm is more portable, especially when travelling abroad.

With the new series of cameras, the TC20EIII works fine.

Enjoy - hope the weather improves.

Thanks for your comments guy's...i hope to be able to try some bif shots when out in the field within the next couple of days...fingers crossed,the current fine weather holds-up!

By the way Rob, i bought the RH2 Lenmaster Gimbal from you to use with the lens and i am very pleased with it...very well built and makes using my combo so easy to use.

Phil.

Thanks for your comments guy's...i hope to be able to try some bif shots when out in the field within the next couple of days...fingers crossed,the current fine weather holds-up!

By the way Rob, i bought the RH2 Lenmaster Gimbal from you to use with the lens and i am very pleased with it...very well built and makes using my combo so easy to use.

Phil.

Pleased your happy with it Phil, I designed it around the 500 f4 but of cause both models take many other lense too.

Hope you get some good weather so you can get out from behind the double glazed window's :)
Rob.

Congrats, you will love it - it is an amazing piece of glass.

Although there are times I wished I had a 600mm f4.0, the 500mm is more portable, especially when travelling abroad.

With the new series of cameras, the TC20EIII works fine.

Enjoy - hope the weather improves.

interested to hear which new cameras work with the TC20EIII and 500mm f4, my D300S sure didn't, couldn't get a sharp shot for the life of me and ended up selling it.

The D4, D800 (and D600?) should all support use with the 20TCIII

On the D700, it was useable (sort-of), provided the subject had high contrast and the light was good.

Taken on a D300 600/4 plus TC20e-III, this was my 1st attempt with the combination. it doesn't come out often but nice to know its there if needed. looking forward to trying it on an FX body

Attachments

• rcp-x2-conv-web.jpg
    rcp-x2-conv-web.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 154
Congratulations Phil,
I am sure you will be well chuffed with it.
Monopod or tripod?
I only use monopods now and the 500 feels much lighter.

interested to hear which new cameras work with the TC20EIII and 500mm f4, my D300S sure didn't, couldn't get a sharp shot for the life of me and ended up selling it.

I must admit I can't get the 500 f4 to work with a 2EIII on my D800.
The 1.4 just about but then the iq of the plain 500mm is better in my opinion when cropped to match.
Anybody got any tips.

Very nice Steve,
I didn't realise you had moved up from the 500 to the 600.
Excellent shot with the TC. I assume you have to use a solid tripod and Wimberley head.

Yeah usual gitzo and whimberly I find that it's better stopped down to f11 and the head locked tight and with good long lens technique.
Btw I moved from a 400/2.8 to a 600/4. Ironically I've missed my 400 more than I'd have thought!!!!

Yeah usual gitzo and whimberly I find that it's better stopped down to f11 and the head locked tight and with good long lens technique.
Btw I moved from a 400/2.8 to a 600/4. Ironically I've missed my 400 more than I'd have thought!!!!
Thanks for the feedback Steve. My mistake. Interested to know how you get on over the next year.

Congratulations Phil,
I am sure you will be well chuffed with it.
Monopod or tripod?
I only use monopods now and the 500 feels much lighter.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for that. I will mostly be using a tripod with a Lensmaster Gimbal, but i do have a decent Manfrotto monopod too,so will be giving that a try.

Regards, Phil.

You're making me feel guilty ! Rest assured its being well loved and looked after in its new home and is even seen out and about around Pagham on occaisons ;)

Your words, when I bought it from you, that I should concentrate on beefing up the head and tripod keep coming home to me as, to my shame,the lovely lens is still tottering about on top of a cheap and cheerful tripod and grip ball head.

I've been looking at the Manfrotto 393 which seems to get great reviews and is a fraction of the price of a Wimberley - then again there's the Lensmaster Gimbal around the same price as the Manfrotto.

I'd welcome your views Steve, or from anyone else :t:

Your words, when I bought it from you, that I should concentrate on beefing up the head and tripod keep coming home to me as, to my shame,the lovely lens is still tottering about on top of a cheap and cheerful tripod and grip ball head.

I've been looking at the Manfrotto 393 which seems to get great reviews and is a fraction of the price of a Wimberley - then again there's the Lensmaster Gimbal around the same price as the Manfrotto.

I'd welcome your views Steve, or from anyone else :t:

I've just sold a £140 [cheap, Chinese] Gimbal and swapped to a Manfrotto 393 and the 393 seems really well made, the plate system is excellent and although it doesn't lock up on the horizontal plane I'm enjoying using it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back