• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regarding the AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED (1 Viewer)

Raybel

I am looking to buy this lense after a few nice reviews online. I'm currently on a tight budget and can't really afford to buy anything more expensive. Have anyone used this lense before than can give me their recommandation? I have read that it is a sharp lens with a fast auto focus. It lacks VR but I dont think it shouldnt be a problem while using it with a high shutter speed?

The camara I will use it with is a D7000.

Thanks.

Hi,
I have this excellent lens and have been using it for a couple of years with my D300...mostly with the 1.4 t.c. It is an ideal "walk around" combination and you will find no noticable drop in i.q. or performance, as i'm sure others will agree.In fact i asked the same question then as you are now and got many praiseworthy responses from people who have experience in using this lens.I took the plunge and never have regretted buying the 300mm f4.

The Nikkor AF-S 300f4 lens is excellent. I have one and it's the sharpest telephoto I have and I use it with a 1.4 TCii too.

Latest pictues on my blog were taken with this lens on a D800 http://russelljenkinsstoop.blogspot.jp/

I keep wanting VR but actually don't think it changes image quality. I'm sure you won't be disppointed.

Cheers,

Last edited:
It's a terrific lens - very close in performance to much more expensive options. You just need to live with the limits. For birds, we all want longer focal lengths and even with a teleconverter you may struggle for enough reach with small birds. But you're off to a good start.

the only time mine comes off my camera is to swop it to the other body ,i use it with the d7000 and the d300s solo and with 1.4 and 1.7 tc's ,best lens in nikons low price range
check out pics from it by following the link below

I'll join the praise of this first rate birding lens. I bought mine many years ago and it's almost never been off the camera since.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responds. I have ordered mines and can't wait to start shooting with it!
Look forward to hearing of your results.
It is a great lens and handles the 1.4 TC very well and in good light or a D800/D4 a 1.7TC also.

I cannot recommend this lens too highly

for the price, (for any price!), on a DX Nikon you will be very pleased especially when mounted on a tripod

you will not be disappointed, I would not be without mine

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back