• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any vintage Leitz experts? (1 Viewer)

Bencw

I just aquired a Leitz Binuxit, in near mint condition. I already had one, optically fine, but a little cosmetic wear & tear. They look mainly identical but I have however noticed some variation, and wonder if this is normal for Leitz. The one I just got, is 548927, ( right side in photo) with the number under Leitz logo on the right plate, and just Germany on the IPD scale. The one I had is later, 607349, with the number on the left plate under the Binuxit logo and Made in Germany on the IPD scale. Also the diopter setting line on 548927 is on the ocular tube, but on the other one, it's on the ocular arm. I wonder if there were design changes between the two productions, or is it normal variance with Leitz?
The one I had, 607349, seems to view slightly better, it seems marginally sharper, and a little better depth, just wondering if there might be a difference in later coatings, but of course it could be a minute collimation issue as well. Or have I bought a pup? Any views welcome.

Ben

Attachments

• BINUXIT.JPG
    BINUXIT.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 129
  • BINUXIT..JPG
    BINUXIT..JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Interesting! My Binuxit is 589474, which is approximately mid-way between your two serial numbers. This one has the serial number on the left-hand prism cover, the word "GERMANY" on the right-hand prism cover (both of these below the logos), and just the scale markings and the focus index line on the IPD scale. It has the diopter setting index on the ocular arm. Very clear and sharp; I've always liked this model.

John

Interesting! My Binuxit is 589474, which is approximately mid-way between your two serial numbers. This one has the serial number on the left-hand prism cover, the word "GERMANY" on the right-hand prism cover (both of these below the logos), and just the scale markings and the focus index line on the IPD scale. It has the diopter setting index on the ocular arm. Very clear and sharp; I've always liked this model.

John

Thats interesting John, having Germany on the prism cover, yours is slightly different yet again to my two.

Ben

ben
you give two different numbers for your earlier one...458927 which would of been late war production [1945]....and 548927 which would of been late 40s or early 50s....
Nice looking Leitz bins......

Last edited:
ben
you give two different numbers for your earlier one...458927 which would of been late war production [1945]....and 548927 which would of been late 40s or early 50s....
Nice looking Leitz bins......

Thanks gnut, it's 548927,typing error, thank you for the dates. It's in amazing condition for 40s or 50s, hardly a mark on it and clean.

I had the chance to look through one of these a month or so ago and was very impressed at just how good an image a binocular of that era can deliver. They really made the most of the technology they had available (single coated porro prism) and the build quality seems very fine. The short eye relief is a major hindrance but if you did not wear glasses you would still be very pleased with what they can offer.

FWIW, I have an ancient pre-war uncoated Binuxit (143218). Its markings and diopter adjustment are like your 548927, except there is no mention of Germany anywhere on it.

I have a late 6x30 Bidoxit (565881) and 7x50 Marseptit (568608). Their diopter adjustments and the markings on the left plate are like your 607349, but there are no markings on the IPD scale. Instead, "Germany" is written below the E. Leitz Wetzlar logo on the right plate.

Henry

Hello,

I have two examples of this binocular. My first has a serial number, starting with the number 510xxx. On the focussing wheel is a dioptre scale; the IPD scale is above the focussing wheel. Although the logo is "Ernst Leitz, Wetzlar," but there is no marking for "Germany." The view is rather warm as the Canadian Balsam has yellowed with age, something peculiar to binoculars of the early 1950's. This binocular has a graticule, or reticle, which was probably factory installed as is uncommon, especially in a centre focussing binocular, but would be a useful accessory for shooting and for hiking.

I have another with a serial number 518xxx, whose markings are identical but with no aging of the Canadian balsam.

Some years ago, Leica still sold eyecups with a little bit of folding rubber, which helped a lot. Now I can use the binocular in daytime without my glasses. On a bright day, my astigmatism is minimised when my own retina is stopped down.

Yes, it is a very nice glass, with wide FOV. Holger Merlitz though that with multi-coating it would compete with current mid-priced binoculars.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I think Leitz switched things around on a yearly basis ....like auto companies yearly change the grill or tail lights every year until they finally decide to change the whole styling.....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back