• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with UK Gull id (1 Viewer)

Alceyone

Alceyone
I’ve set myself the goal of finally trying to get to grips with gulls in 2018.
This one has me stumped. I starteD with 2nd winter Herring but the beak was completely black and the nape very pale. So now wondering about Yellow Legged.
Can anyone help ?
Cheers

Attachments

• 38090BC1-B209-4E0F-88D3-DE67923A5502.jpeg
    38090BC1-B209-4E0F-88D3-DE67923A5502.jpeg
    309 KB · Views: 75
  • 6B9A2EF9-823A-47DF-BD2C-7B336096806D.jpg
    6B9A2EF9-823A-47DF-BD2C-7B336096806D.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 68
All black bill in late winter often is a good pointer for Greater black-backed Gull. Back pattern and finely patterned coverts do look fine. The bill doesn't look particularly massive that could mean it's a female. The body (esp. the head) of GBBG turns rather white towards first summer ...

P.S. welcome to birdforum, and happy to help

Thanks for the welcome Carey, and the help : GBB had also been on my shortlist, but I didn't think the beak was bulky enough .... pesky gulls, I don't think I'll ever get to grips with them !

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back