• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NEW Acrocephalus puzzle in Leyte (Philippines) (1 Viewer)

Well..my bad Valéry, admittedly haven't scan through you gentlemen's discussion to know that the individual was already IDed. Judging solely from the call/song, I would agree that this subspecies should be split from other Clamorous.

Well..my bad Valéry, admittedly haven't scan through you gentlemen's discussion to know that the individual was already IDed. Judging solely from the call/song, I would agree that this subspecies should be split from other Clamorous.

There is nothing bad, no worry. I'm not very patient, especially those last days since some birders on another group believing to know almost everything wouldn't bother to identify when you kindly ask help, but try to prove you wrong when you share... and ignore if that's their mistake. Very frustrating.

I know you just wanted to help; you are familiar with unknown birds for me (I've never visited any country between Nepal and the Philippines!) so I hope you'll be there when I'm in trouble with Asian birds that are my weakness!

I plan to visit Thailand and/or India on my way back to Europe soon, I might have several unidentified birds among my lifers :-O

Hi Valery,
superb singing acro. photo. I am still trying work out what the unique moult of young ORW, in the quote attributed by some to Kennedy (?) , really means.

Hi Valery,
superb singing acro. photo. I am still trying work out what the unique moult of young ORW, in the quote attributed by some to Kennedy (?) , really means.

Thanks Bryon; breeding has now started, unfortunately, I'll possibly leave the Philippines before seeing the first flying juveniles and certainly before they start moulting.

Thanks also for helping in identification in those reed warblers since last year, now I feel much more confortable. However, I'm a bit lost for the pipit, an additional comment from you after all others challenging your ID would be very welcome! :t: :king:

Nice recording Valéry! Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure, Roland.This morning I worked on the Oriental Reed Warbler. It is singing all the time (in opposite to what told me a local birder claiming wintering warblers don't sing much in the Philippines - others such Arctic Warbler are also singing a lot) but elusive and I don't get a good shot to share like for the harterti in staying 2 hours and half in front of the tree where he sings! I recorded the song for you though, and you can have some glimpse of it in the video. Hope it is useful.

Attachments

• Acrocorientalis11.wmv
    877.2 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for uploading the second recording as well. I've to admitt I find it unbelievably difficult to hear the difference between the two - I mean other than rhythm, but this doen't help much in such a short recording. From what can be seen in the second video the bird does indeed look like an Oriental Reed and the photo in post #17 should be CRW harterti. Very tough job, at least for me...

BTW I found this tutorial to easily convert video into mp3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M81gXTdjHF4). Smaller file size and possibility to produce sonograms...

Thanks for uploading the second recording as well. I've to admitt I find it unbelievably difficult to hear the difference between the two - I mean other than rhythm, but this doen't help much in such a short recording. From what can be seen in the second video the bird does indeed look like an Oriental Reed and the photo in post #17 should be CRW harterti. Very tough job, at least for me...

BTW I found this tutorial to easily convert video into mp3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M81gXTdjHF4). Smaller file size and possibility to produce sonograms...

Thanks for that tutorial, I will try to open.

Post #17 shows the harterti of the video. Same individual. Well, hearing them now daily, I find voice identification of both very easy.

I think the case is now over. I hope to have more photos to make a helpful identification article on my blog, I still have a month in the Philippines, we will see. Oriental is really elusive here.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back