• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Samsung NV3 Videograbs (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Hi all,

I am struggling to produce videograbs of AVI files (video) I have recorded on my Samsung NV3.

I can play them in Windows Media Player but when I pause the videos at precise moments I want, I can not seem to find a way to copy the image into a jpeg file.

As for Quicktime, it does not seem to be able to play the file at all.

I would appreciate some assistance as I have some video footage that I wish to produce images from of a wheatear species in flight.

Regards,
Andrew.

Cheers for that desgreene, looking into it now.

I used to be able to do it easily in Quicktime with my Coolpix videoclips.

Thanks for that second link, the first one was 11.5MB which makes me draw breath in through gritted teeth on dial up. ;)

Getting on well with the NV3. The usual drawbacks of digiscoping that applied to the Coolpix applies to this one too but I get on a lot better with the NV3 than the Coolpix in terms of what I can do with it as well as the overall portability of it. I just need a more powerful computer to deal with the camera now!

Can't you just pause on the frame you want and then do the Prt Scrn thing and paste it into whatever photo software you have got?

Mick

I have the NV3 Andrew, the best way I find to get still images from video is to playback the video on the camera and if you pause the video it asks if you want to save the image. If you press yes it adds it to the pictures on the camera as a normal jpeg. Easy!!

Here's one I did of a lighting flash.

Attachments

• storm.jpg
    storm.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 92
Karen, thanks. I knew of this method but it is hit or miss where you can pause, on the computer you can shift the frame more precisely and stop it at the exact moment you wish to get the wings spread or such. I spent a time starting each video clip and pressing pause and never getting it just where I wanted it.

It is a good and easy method though when precision is not necessary. In fact I did the same to get some lightning shots on holiday in Cyprus! ;)

Cheers,
Andrew.

Sorry Andrew, of course you'd already noticed this feature.|:$|

It's not too bad though, I manage to pause it at a rate of two frames per second, bit time consuming though I admit. Alternatively for more precision I use Windows Movie Maker to make jpeg stills, it's free, but I think it's only compatible with XP. Which I assume you don't have on your, as you describe, "ancient computer"!?

Hi Karen, I use XP so I shall look up this Windows Movie Maker later this evening. Thanks for the tip off, I shall let you know how I get on with that.

If you use XP check your 'all programs' list, you may already have it. Most versions of XP come with movie maker. If you playback a movie on it you can pause at the correct moment and there's a special button to make photo!

Wow, I do indeed have it!

You must be a LOT younger than me and I am only just old enough to have to mentally calculate my age! ;)

Will play around with Movie Maker tomorrow morning when the current crop of cheap Strongbow has worn off.

Thanks.

I've just tried the Movie Maker method and it works a treat Karen. You have to "import" the AVI file first.

Sorry for the unnecessary download Andrew!

All the best,
Des.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back