• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

short center column for manfrotto 055 (1 Viewer)

seaspirit

Hi folks,

I own a ~15 year old Manfrotto 055CB. I used it in the past with a video head for scoping. Now I mounted a gimbal head on it for some long lens photography.
I have the following options for scoping :
- get another tripod ($$$)
- get the scope to mount on the gimbal side mount head. disadvantage would be that it gets harder to share views through the scope with others as a slight touch will move the scope and the view is gone. would cost me another arca swiss plate and some work to come up with a bracket to hold the scope.
- get another center column for the tripod to mount the other head on. switching columns would be a easy and quick thing to do. my preferred solution!

Now the problem: Manfrotto changed at one point the cross section of their centre columns from round to something hexa-roundish shape. My concern is that if I order a center column for the 055 I will get one with the new cross section. Will it fit into the 28mm opening of my 055 and clamp tight, or not. From images it looks like it may work, as the overall shape of the new columns is still round.

Can anybody clarify this for me? Manfrotto never responded to an email inquiry, and the local photo dealers are just as smart as me in this matter (and no new 055 version on hand to try it out). Are there any other reputable tripod manufacturers out there that offer 28mm center columns. Looks like Giottos may have something that could fit, but again I don't want to order one that turns out to be to small or to bif to fit properly.

Thanks for your help

Ulli

I would guess that the new 'hexa-round' columns would fit your old tripod, I have a newish (3 yrs old) Manfrotto 055 CF with the new column design, and like you say, it is based on a 28mm circle, but obviously with 3 flattened edges. I would be very surprised if this didn't fit into a 28mm circular opening. If not it would be a very close fit!

I presume your older tripod has a circular opening for the centre column, with a side mounted bolt (set into the tripod's top casting) that clamps it in position when extended.

Steve

Ulli,
I have a newer (2 years old) 055V. The column that came with it is the hexa-round long version. I bought a 701RC2 video head for my spotting scope to use with this tripod. It works fine for viewing and for digiscoping. However, I then got into DSLR bird photography. I bought a ballhead first and got a short hexa-round column so I could interchange them when necessary. I then bought a Wimberly Sidekick that connects to the ballhead. I still swapped out columns until recently when I connected the scope to the sidekick. It works surprisingly well. You have as much control over the head movement as with the videohead because you are still restricted to 2-axis movement (panning & tilt) and the Sidekick has very good controls for adjusting tilt tension. The ballhead panning control is used to adjust panning tension/movement. My only issue is that I have an angled eyepiece on my scope so when I swap camera for scope or visa versa I have to adjust the vertical extension of the column. It would not be a problem if I had a straight eyepiece on the scope. None the less, I am overall pleased with this setup. I hope this helps somewhat.

Just a quick follow-up.

Problem solved with a giottos short center column (US$20 on ebay) that has a 28mm diameter. Works perfect with my old style 055 and the Indian made gimbal head. Should I ever buy a new 055 this will not work due to the circular cross section, but for the time being I am good.

Pricewise in the same ballpark ABA sales (american birding association's online store) offers a Manfrotto column (new design) as I found out about a week to late .......

Ulli

Just a quick follow-up.

Problem solved with a giottos short center column (US$20 on ebay) that has a 28mm diameter. Works perfect with my old style 055 and the Indian made gimbal head. Should I ever buy a new 055 this will not work due to the circular cross section, but for the time being I am good.

Pricewise in the same ballpark ABA sales (american birding association's online store) offers a Manfrotto column (new design) as I found out about a week to late .......

Ulli

Does anyone know if this is available in the UK - couldn't seem to find it on the Giottos web site

TIA

Does anyone know if this is available in the UK - couldn't seem to find it on the Giottos web site

TIA

It's listed under accessories on www.giottos.com . Just scroll down past the bags and straps and you will find a whole bunch with different dimensions.
Note that they have a circualr cross-section and will not work with the newer Manfrottos using the hexagon cross-section columns. The old Manfrotto 055 takes the MTC 284

Ulli

It's listed under accessories on www.giottos.com . Just scroll down past the bags and straps and you will find a whole bunch with different dimensions.
Note that they have a circualr cross-section and will not work with the newer Manfrottos using the hexagon cross-section columns. The old Manfrotto 055 takes the MTC 284

Ulli

Many thanks for this I'll get in touch with the UK distributor to see what they can do. I'm guessing that my Manfrotto is of a similar vintage to yours and even with the centre columnn reduced it's still too long.

Failing that I can always take a hacksaw to it 3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back