• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Basic Photoshop techniques for your images (1 Viewer)

Andy Bright

Administrator
Staff member
England
I have recently added a page to my website describing (with photos and pretty Photoshop screengrabs) very basic techniques for improving your images. When I say basic... I mean no layers, and as yet no selection tools! This stuff takes a few minutes to do and can transform your images.
Included are:
Sharpening your images.
Adjusting brightness and contrast using 'Levels'.
Removing Chromatic aberration/Colour fringing.
Digiscoping With Photoshop

If you have any questions regarding Photoshop or digiscoping in general, fire away....that's what I'm here for ;)

Andy B
Watford

That is a welcome and useful addition to your website Andy. I have a copy of Photoshop LE that came with my camera but I have found Paintshop Pro easier to use. I don't like only having one undo in the LE edition but cannot contemplate buying the full edition.

Thanks Dave,
the limited undo is a pain but deliberately so, otherwise no-one woukd ever get the full version.
I don't think there are many who can justify buying the full version, I don't know anyone who has ;)
Regards,
Andy B

A very useful thread Andy :t:

I have had PS 6 for about a year, but never got to grips with it due to it's complexity. I've only recently begun to use the features you describe, which as you say once you know what they are, where they are at and how to use them, are all indispensable tools. I used to use three different software programs, but have now just about narrowed it down to PS, though I do still like the intuitiveness of PSP.

Andy, you have done well and your work is appreciated. I have PS 5.0 LE and have been getting more and more familar with it. I have yet to use the burn tool and I will have to try your idea for the dreaded CA. The only thing I would add, and maybe you have somewhere else on your site or you will when you complete this project, is that after the sharpening (USM) to use one of the noise reduction filters, such as NeatImage. I have found that this makes it so that on some photos I can take up the USM a little higher. Even without this benefit, so many of the lower mp cameras tend to get noise and it usually produces a much better photo that it is worth it (especially since it is free).

Thank you Andy the explanations you give were and are very valuable to both Lee and I. We are using Photo Adobe Elements exclusively now and it is amazing... every little bit we can learn from people all adds up to a better finished product...

Hi Andy,
You might get snowed under with questions!
I had already seen your page and been practising what you are teaching, it worked! Especially the replace colour tip.
I now love photoshop but it is a very extensive program and there is still much to learn. These rainy days are good for that!

Thanks everyone. The methods on my webpage are just scratching the surface of what Photoshop can do...... I'd recommend buying a book on your particular version of Photoshop (though they can be expensive!). My own favourite is Katrin Eismann's 'Photoshop Restoration and Retouching'......but the choise is amazing.
Brian: I do list some of the chroma/luma noise reduction plug-ins that I use on my 'info' page.....but some are very expensive to buy.
I have used neatimage from it's first release, and though the latest version is more subtle in it's effects.....I just can't accept the results on prints above 8x6. It certainly deserves a mention though, as it can do wonders for images destined for the web or monitor.... I can usually spot a 'neatimage' pic, but the latest version is definitely better and it's harder to spot the effects when used carefully.
Regards,
Andy B

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back