• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod & Head help (1 Viewer)

Arsenal Birder

Hi Everyone,

Best tripod & head for a birder/photographer who will be switching regularly between using a Swarovski 80HD STM & a Canon 400mm f5.6 with 7D?

Any advice much appreciated.

Good Birding

AB

For photography a leveling tripod might be more convenient.

With the straight scope you will need a tripod height (preferably with minimal centre column extension) of 25 cm less than your own height.

The lower the number of leg extensions, the better the stability. The diameter of the bottom leg sections should be a minimum of 20 mm for your equipment.

Carbon fibre damps vibrations much faster than aluminium but is expensive. If Gitzo is too dear, look at Benro, Feisol, Induro or Velbon. Wooden tripods (Berlebach) probably offer the best stability and vibration damping, are not expensive, but will weigh around 1 kg more than comparable CF tripods.

Your telephoto lens has a rotating collar so you would still get vertical format with a 2-way video head like the Manfrooto 701HDV. Fluid heads are to be preferred to 3-way pan and tilt heads and ballheads for use with the scope.

John

Two months ago i have had the same problem. I was searching for a tripod with minimum vibration, because i wanted to use it for a spotting scope and a big 1000mm mirrorlense for photography and using the lense as a scope. After a long online research i decided to buy a wooden tripod made bei the german manufacturer Berlebach (tripod no 3022) and a matching Sirui ballhead (K-30x) with enough reserves. And i must say, i am very happy with the combination, because the vibrations are nearly zero a after a second and the exchange between spotting scope and camera lense is very fast and easy, because of the nice releasing plate of the ballhead! It is great!
Sebastian

Hi John,
i agree with you the lower the number of leg adjustments,better the stability.
i don´t want a wooden one.any suggestions between Gitzo and Manfrotto?
Marcos

For photography a leveling tripod might be more convenient.

With the straight scope you will need a tripod height (preferably with minimal centre column extension) of 25 cm less than your own height.

The lower the number of leg extensions, the better the stability. The diameter of the bottom leg sections should be a minimum of 20 mm for your equipment.

Carbon fibre damps vibrations much faster than aluminium but is expensive. If Gitzo is too dear, look at Benro, Feisol, Induro or Velbon. Wooden tripods (Berlebach) probably offer the best stability and vibration damping, are not expensive, but will weigh around 1 kg more than comparable CF tripods.

Your telephoto lens has a rotating collar so you would still get vertical format with a 2-way video head like the Manfrooto 701HDV. Fluid heads are to be preferred to 3-way pan and tilt heads and ballheads for use with the scope.

John

+1 - I have the 701HDV and it would do a very good job with a light setup like the 7D/400 F5.6 as well as being excellent with spotting scopes - mine is!
As to tripods my choice/gear is Gitzo, but these days they are silly money! Triopo, Sirui, Benro, Feisol and some others are doing some nice stuff at realistic prices. Have a look at the Feisol UK site (standard tripods section) the CT3301 looks to be very good for your needs.
Happy hunting.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back