• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TS 107/700 triplet (1 Viewer)

I have been in dialogue with Teleskop Express who recommended an aluminum tube version of this scope for terrestrial photography, as an upgrade option from the SW80 for situations requiring even more reach. The major drawback is weigth, 6.5kg if I remember.

Carbon is 1kg lighter. You might be able to get a carbon one cheaper than aluminum. I guess they are not selling so well.
More reach and more light! Never can get enough!
Supposedly the bokeh is also nicer with a triplet.

Last edited:
There was a user here that had one, I don't remember who, I think he only posted a few times, but the images seemed to had a lot of potential.

I can't help much about the scope itself, I never tried it or even seen it in person. But I've been drooling about this scope for a couple of years (the aluminium version).
On paper it's probably one of the best choices for a long reach scope out there.
I can't afford one at this point, but eventually I will get one, that's for sure.

For me, I'd take the aluminium version, it's cheaper, and it needs some camo over it any way, so carbon is a waste of money ;)

Actually, they are now the same price as it seems the carbon is not so well suited for cold night astro work. Might even be cheaper. And....1 full kg lighter!

Actually, they are now the same price as it seems the carbon is not so well suited for cold night astro work. Might even be cheaper. And....1 full kg lighter!

Hmm... I didn't noticed that, the aluminum used to be cheaper than that :( I guess I'll have to wait even more now :p

But, I really have a hard time believing the carbon tube shaving 1kg, specially in a two section tube, I believe that when I see them both on a scale ;) Beware of TS weight listings, they're sometimes not very correct. I remember my TL listed at 3.5Kgs or so, and the 600 F/6 at 6.1Kg.

Anyway, if the price is the same, by all means get the carbon, it's a thing of beauty.

I'd get this one though:
http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...m-with-2-5--PHOTO-focuser-and-FPL53-lens.html
2.5" focuser is more than enough for an APS-C sensor, and you'll shave even more weight than the CF tube. A 3" focuser is a massive focuser.

See what you mean about the weight. Thing is, I might be able to get a deal I can't refuse on the carbon model. Have to wait a little and see....
I wonder though, really how much better than the SW 80/600 ED they would be for what we do.

Being a bigger objective and a triplet, I would assume it would be a decent upgrade for the ED80 in any department of image quality. But I wouldn't expect the difference in IQ to be the important part, the ED80 is already very good and I wouldn't buy it for that alone.
I'd buy it for it's aperture, with the aperture of this scope you can be at more than 30% further away with the same framing, shutter speed and ISO as you would be with the ED80, that alone is worth the price IMHO.

Is a bit like considering a 500 F4 vs a 600 F4, quality is similar but the difference in reach is considerable. In the case of the ED80 vs the 107mm triplet the difference is even bigger.

BTW, take a look at this one:
http://www.scopesandspace.ie/produc...-f65-super-ed-triplet-apo-w-3-apm-focuser/858

I know nothing about this store, and I think the price is too good to be true, but I think it's worth asking.
Unless you're getting the CF version at an even better price :p

it says "tube weight" 5.7kg. Does it usually not include the mounting clamps nor the focuser in this measurments? Or is 5.7kg including all that?

without my clamps, I'm having my celestron 80ED at barely little more than 2kg... reach, aperture and all that is very nice but hiking around with so much weight... ouch! ;-)

Mine weighs in at 2.65kg, with the D7000 at 3.75kg, and tripod and all at just under 7kg. I also do not use the mounting rings. The carbon version weighs 5.6kg with the rings and the 3" focuser, so a good 2kg more. Don't know that I would want to drill holes in the carbon tube to use it without the rings. Technically no problem, but it might lower the re-sale value. My friend at Telescope Austria has a metal 107/700 that he is going to lend me to try out for a while, so we will soon know more.

Mine weighs in at 2.65kg, with the D7000 at 3.75kg, and tripod and all at just under 7kg. I also do not use the mounting rings. The carbon version weighs 5.6kg with the rings and the 3" focuser, so a good 2kg more. Don't know that I would want to drill holes in the carbon tube to use it without the rings. Technically no problem, but it might lower the re-sale value. My friend at Telescope Austria has a metal 107/700 that he is going to lend me to try out for a while, so we will soon know more.

Dan, no need to drill holes. I made my own mount for the SW80ED, using SS clamps with 3 layers of masking tape underneat to protect the tube finish and a home made aluminium bracket to attach the Arca-Swiss 17 cm plate. It is light, solid and it doesn't damage the scope. It works like a charm on the LensMaster RH-1.

See the photo in post #337 in the Setups thread:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=194800&page=14

I hope this helps
Jules

Hi Jules,
I thought about doing something like that.
My friend has lent me both a 107/700 and a 90/600 (both triplets). Can't keep them for very long but....
Here are the first test shots. Took the best of 10 of each, resized them after cropping and balanced the exposure and WB, nothing else.
9608981294_04c6f889f9_o.jpg

9608975762_0964ce0f70_o.jpg

9605747047_89d0ace0c3_o.jpg

The 107 is a beast! But it sure delivers! Metal version, about 5.5kg without the camera.
The 90/600 is carbon and is a good 2kg lighter. Sweet!

Hi Jules,
I thought about doing something like that.
My friend has lent me both a 107/700 and a 90/600 (both triplets). Can't keep them for very long but....
Here are the first test shots. Took the best of 10 of each, resized them after cropping and balanced the exposure and WB, nothing else.
View attachment 460270

View attachment 460271

View attachment 460272

The 107 is a beast! But it sure delivers! Metal version, about 5.5kg without the camera.
The 90/600 is carbon and is a good 2kg lighter. Sweet!

Hi Dan,

Looking at the feathers, I'm not impressed by the first 2 but the third one looks good.

I don't know much about triplets but the APM Super APO 107/700mm from Teleskop-Express looks exactly like the doublet I purchased before my SW80ED - see photo. Exactly similar, same focuser, mounting clamps... The scope was supposed to be an Astro-Tech 80ED 550mm and it looked exactly like the one on the Astro-Tech Web site. I purchased it on eBay for a very good price and it came in exactly like the picture, but unbranded.

It looked like a quality scope and felt like one. However, it turned out that I was never able to take a decent photo with it - and I was not the problem ! It is possibly a collimation problem but unfortunately the front lens assembly is not made to be adjusted.

If you are planning to get one, I suggest you make sure to get it from a reputable dealer with return privileges.

Regards
Jules

Attachments

• telescope.jpg
    telescope.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 137
Exactly, although the 90/600 shows more detail and contrast than the 80/600.

I have a close friend who works for Telescope Austria, and they work together with TS in Germany. Anything I get from them would be fine tuned before it leaves the shop.
I have heard not great things about the 80/550.:-C

But it is a monster! Wouldn't want to try and hand hold it!;)
Actually, the carbon version wouldn't be so bad with a lighter mounting system. The clamps are just over 1kg alone. Also the whole 3" focuser is in fact pretty big and heavy. 2.5" would do, but I am not sure I would have a choice.
I actually like the 90/600 a lot, and it does have better contrast and color than the SW 80/600, and less CA, even though the SW is pretty good in that respect.

The results are pretty much as I expected, the 107 is sharper and have more contrast, but it's not a night and day difference. And the contrast may well come from the baffles/flocking difference in both tubes.

Anyway, we have to remember one more point, while ultimately the 107mm is sharper, it is much harder to get that improvement in the real world, it's longer and much heavier, therefore it needs a far better technique in using it, also it needs a much stronger tripod too. Also the longer focal length brings more issues with air turbulence.

I'll still go for one of those when I have the money, but it's worth remembering these points ;)

Absolutely! Air is our worst enemy!
All three scopes are well flocked, as is my T2 adapter and extension.
I can keep the scopes for a couple of days so I hope to do some real world testing tomorrow. The weight can also be an advantage. Less vibration. If I can get the weight down to about 4-4.5kg with a 2.5" focuser and a different mount it would only be 1.5kg over what I have now.

I most often shoot with a TN in between so I am shooting around 960mm. Good for close-ups of LBJs.
In the end a lot will depend on the cost. We'll see....

Exactly, although the 90/600 shows more detail and contrast than the 80/600.

I have a close friend who works for Telescope Austria, and they work together with TS in Germany. Anything I get from them would be fine tuned before it leaves the shop.
I have heard not great things about the 80/550.:-C

Good ! I wish you fun and success with your new toy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back