• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grebe ID please - UK (1 Viewer)

ianrose82

Attached are a couple of not too good photos "snatched" from a video taken a few weeks back in Wales.
Is this an immature Red Necked Grebe?
Thanks in advance...there is a tale attached to this which I will tell when I have an ID ;)
Ian

Attachments

• grebe1ss.jpg
    grebe1ss.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 291
  • grebe2ss.jpg
    grebe2ss.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 191
ianrose82 said:
Attached are a couple of not too good photos "snatched" from a video taken a few weeks back in Wales.
Is this an immature Red Necked Grebe?
Thanks in advance...there is a tale attached to this which I will tell when I have an ID ;)
Ian

Its a Red-necked Grebe - see the cap coming below the eye unlike Great Crested.

Not sure about the age. One I saw last weekend still had obvious juvenile plumage but I'm not sure if that is usual.

Thanks Mike and Andrew.
Our friends in Powys found this bird in the stream at the bottom of their garden, obviously having trouble in shallow water. They caught the bird and put it on their garden pond (33' x 17') to recover and it repaid them by eating most of the goldfish not already eaten by a visiting Otter!! It then departed.:)

ianrose82 said:
Thanks Mike and Andrew.
Our friends in Powys found this bird in the stream at the bottom of their garden, obviously having trouble in shallow water. They caught the bird and put it on their garden pond (33' x 17') to recover and it repaid them by eating most of the goldfish not already eaten by a visiting Otter!! It then departed.:)

Got to be a good record. Worth letting the county recorder know the details.

Mike Pennington said:
Not sure about the age. One I saw last weekend still had obvious juvenile plumage but I'm not sure if that is usual.

The extent of yellow on the bill could indicate juvenile - but hard to be sure from these photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back