• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300mm zoom questions (1 Viewer)

HokkaidoStu

occasional moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I got a Canon 400D a couple of months ago and have been using a Sigma 70-300 DG lens (the non APO one). I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of some of my pics for such a cheap lens but am wondering if I should upgrade.

Not to a 400 or 500mm lens yet (that'll be one for Santa I think) but to another 300mm zoom. I have 2 questions.

The Sigma 70-300 APO zoom. When I got my camera I didn't actually know there were two Sigma zooms with similar specs (it was a spur of the moment thing when I bought the whole set-up). How much better is this lens than the non APO? I know it is better but if only slightly so is there any point me buying it?

28-300mm zooms. I notice Sigma and Tamron make these. Does anyone use them on the forum? They look attractive...............more compact and I don't need to change lenses when I take landscape pics. How good are they at the long end compared to the Sigma APO 70-300mm? They're about $100 more.

Any opinions gratefully received..............

I use the Tamron 28-300 as an all-purpose lens - it is light and takes reasonable pictures. I used the have a Nikon 70-300 and the Tamron is better than that one was. I would suggest though, that you save up for something like the Tamron 200-500 rather than getting another 300mm lens.

I use the Tamron 28-300 as an all-purpose lens - it is light and takes reasonable pictures. I used the have a Nikon 70-300 and the Tamron is better than that one was. I would suggest though, that you save up for something like the Tamron 200-500 rather than getting another 300mm lens.

I've got my eye on that 200-500mm lens but can't afford it (or another longer lens) until next winter. Like I said I'm just wondering about a small upgrade for my 300mm for now..........

Nice photos on your Blog, Stu,
Were they all taken with the Sigma 70-300, and if so, were they with a tripod, or handheld ?
I have the APO version, just recently aquired, but my photos never look as good as yours.
Possibly because I never use a tripod [although I have one], and maybe I am not making enough effort to get nearer to the small birds, or to hold the camera steady.
I have just purchased a second-hand 400mm 5.6 Tokina, and when that arrives, I will try it with the tripod.
Any advice much appreciated.

Nice photos on your Blog, Stu,
Were they all taken with the Sigma 70-300, and if so, were they with a tripod, or handheld ?
I have the APO version, just recently aquired, but my photos never look as good as yours.
Possibly because I never use a tripod [although I have one], and maybe I am not making enough effort to get nearer to the small birds, or to hold the camera steady.
I have just purchased a second-hand 400mm 5.6 Tokina, and when that arrives, I will try it with the tripod.
Any advice much appreciated.

Hi bestboat. Yes those photos were with the Sigma 70-300 and all handheld.........

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back