• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds Hitting Window. Help! (1 Viewer)

rwrigg

I live on the third floor of an apartment building and there is a Mountain Ash tree in front of my window that gets a lot of Cedar Waxwings when the berries are ripe. Last year a lot of babies where hitting my window (I found a few on the ground dead when I returned home from work) and I want to prevent the same thing from happening again this year. The problem is I can't reach the large window (8') from the outside so I'm looking for suggestions on what I can do from inside to deter them from hitting the window. Please help!

Thanks!

I've had the same problem in the past, and keeping the blinds closed solved it. This may or may not work if the window is shaded by the tree, but give it a try. ;)

Thanks! Right now I have a dark brown roll down bamboo type of blinds...is there a better type that I could put up? I don't believe the tree shades the window but it really reflects :(

My blinds were white so I think the birds could easily see something was there, rather than a reflection of the open air behind them. Your blinds may still help even though they're not white, give it a try.

You could find some other way to 'white' out the window I guess, if it was me, I'd paint the window white to stop the birds hitting it because I'd be heartbroke everytime one did. :-C

Oh me too! They are such beautiful birds! The adults seem smart enough to not hit the window, it always seems to be the poor babies :(
If I hear one hit when I'm home I always run downstairs to see if they are on the ground alive so I can help them, but I really want to prevent the ones in the day when I'm at work from hitting! I'll try putting the blinds down in the day.
If there are any suggestions as to things I can hang in the window as well that would be great too!
Thanks!!

If you have any large posters that have a white reverse side, or maybe an old roll of wall paper. Anything like that to make a temporary 'blind' until all the young have fledged and moved on. Maybe even a light coloured sheet could be hung in the window, your home may look like a crack house from outside, but the birds may thank you ;)

LOL! Good idea! The berries disappear fast between the starlings and the Waxwings anyway so I don't mind having my window covered to prevent any dealths!
Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back