• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anhinga? - southeast texas (1 Viewer)

howell7079

I saw this bird on a tree in the middle of a lake this morning. It looks like an anhinga but it has red on it's feathers and all the pictures I can find have silver on their feathers. I read a few articles online about them and there is no mention of red feathers. Any help would be appreciated.

Lyndon

Attachments

• 2556181401_1225e058bb.jpg
    2556181401_1225e058bb.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 102
I saw this bird on a tree in the middle of a lake this morning. It looks like an anhinga but it has red on it's feathers and all the pictures I can find have silver on their feathersIt looks like an anhinga but it has red on it's feathers and all the pictures I can find have silver on their feathers. I read a few articles online about them and there is no mention of red feathers. Any help would be appreciated.
Lyndon
I'd say it is an Anhinga. It just looks exactly like one to me and I see them just about every day. It has the long tail, silverish on back of wings, pointed bill, etc. I don't see the red myself--could it have been a reflection?

Last edited:
Here is another picture. It has red streaks on it's head and neck and red on the end of it's tail and on the top of it's wings. It looked the same way when we were watching with binoculars.

Attachments

• 2556289057_7bb5c16708.jpg
    2556289057_7bb5c16708.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 85
Definitely an Anhinga. Long broad tail, long thin pointed bill, webbed feet and perched on a thin branch normally reserved for birds like Goldfinches. No other American bird is put together quite like that.

Here is another picture. It has red streaks on it's head and neck and red on the end of it's tail and on the top of it's wings. It looked the same way when we were watching with binoculars.
My guess is that your Anhinga actually has whitish plumes or feathers on its head or neck, silvery-white feathers at the top of its wings, and a light buff or white tipped tail and something red is reflecting off of these areas making them appear reddish. I'll attach a photo showing a bird with a similar type of coloration without reddish reflection (or I don't think so anyway).

Attachments

• Anhinga.jpg
    Anhinga.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 78
The red could well be staining from the particular habitiat it is in, looks a bit like some type of iron deposit or similar

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back