• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (2 Viewers)

It was with a 100-400L, handheld (well rested on my knee). It was zoomed out, about 200mm.

Brents are tamer than in the UK.......

I've put a few videos out on the web using both Vimeo and YouTube but I'm not sure which is best regarding quality etc. I think perhaps YouTube but I'm not convinced as the quality of my original video has varied.

Which do you prefer or are there any alternatives?

Max.

I used Youtube but quickly looked elsewhere as I wasnt happy with the compression youtube puts on the videos.
I settled on Vimeo for the quality but the free vimeo is poor in terms of having to wait a huge amount of time for your video to be converted.
Thats why I ended up paying for vimeo plus. Im happy now.

White-breasted Kingfisher - First Attempt at Video

Video Novice Alert...

I know that when news of the the video function on the 7D was released I went on record as saying that I would not use it. But curiosity got the better of me on a recent trip to Goa

First attempt at video was a White-breasted Kingfisher sat on a bridge support at Carambolim Lake. All the noise is from the traffic that uses the causeway and you can hear Indian House Crow in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZSVOD_F7dQ

There has to be a better way though of uploading to You Tube and converting. The .MOV file was 311mb and took over two hours to upload to You Tube. One of the reasons that I said I would not use the video was that I did not want to have to invest in additional software for processing video files. Surely there has to be a better way of converting for use on the web, without losing HD.

Chris

Last edited:
Looks good to me although its not doing much so I cant tell if you were using the right shutter speeds etc.

Yeah you shouldnt be uploading the original mov to youtube. Try movie maker in windows and export as a .h264 mp4 file using around 5000kbps as the quality setting.
That would probably reduce that file to about 30-40 meg im guessing and you wouldn't lose the quality.

Theres also alot of free video converter programs you could use. So if you dont want to do any editing you could just import the mov and convert the file down to a mp4 at 5000kbps at the same res and that should do the trick.

Another handheld one of some Brent Geese.

Handholding a 400mm lens for video is pretty hard, I lent on a concrete wall which gave me some support but I had to leave the IS on.......

Exposure is tough, at one stage a Gull walks in front of the Geese and is badly overexposed. I used ISO 100 and F13 at 1/50 sec.

Last edited:
Couldn't tell that was handheld even with IS.
I like how they all act when the gull comes in. Its like the gull is the school thug or something :)

HI,

The ability to shoot HD video was a major reason to purchase the 7D, along with its high ISO abilities. However since it has arrived, I have had very little time to explore its potential. I shot these clips by clicking the switch over to video, starting it and stopping it. I have not looked at tweaking the settings.

These clips of Twite were taken in mediocre light (overcast) but I am really pleased with them. I have 'cropped' them using iMovie on my Apple iMac, they were shot using a 300mm f2.8 lens and a 2x teleconverter

http://www.vimeo.com/9639019

http://www.vimeo.com/9628632

I promise to do my homework on the video section of the manual before I try again!

Mícheál

HI,

The ability to shoot HD video was a major reason to purchase the 7D, along with its high ISO abilities. However since it has arrived, I have had very little time to explore its potential. I shot these clips by clicking the switch over to video, starting it and stopping it. I have not looked at tweaking the settings.

These clips of Twite were taken in mediocre light (overcast) but I am really pleased with them. I have 'cropped' them using iMovie on my Apple iMac, they were shot using a 300mm f2.8 lens and a 2x teleconverter

http://www.vimeo.com/9639019

http://www.vimeo.com/9628632

I promise to do my homework on the video section of the manual before I try again!

Mícheál

Very nice but i think to fast a shutter speed .
Rob.

Another handheld one of some Brent Geese.

Handholding a 400mm lens for video is pretty hard, I lent on a concrete wall which gave me some support but I had to leave the IS on.......

Exposure is tough, at one stage a Gull walks in front of the Geese and is badly overexposed. I used ISO 100 and F13 at 1/50 sec.

I love Brent Geese great job, You just don't release how big them Herring Gulls are until you get them up against the Brent Geese.

Thanks Rob. Pardon my ignorance of DSLR video (still haven't read the manual) - what difference would a slower shutter speed have made in a video clip - brighter image?

Mícheál

Well no as you ajust your exposure the normal way but it would make the birds movment smoother.
If your shooting at 50fps then 1/100 second is recomended.
Im still learning to be honest lol
Rob.

Here's my latest one, a Ural Owl having a scratch.

The sound is not so good and picked up the voices of a couple of other people photographing the same Owl.

I can use an 1.4 T/C on my 100-400L and it focuses nicely in liveview, it's very hit and miss otherwise even with the pins taped.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back