• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How can you tel if it is a swarovision model ? (1 Viewer)

florken

Florken,
The answer to your question is: yes, you can see the difference because the shape of the housings are different. The EL's are slightly curved while the Swarivsions have straight housings.
Gijs van Ginkel

Non-swarovision model also have black metal on the inner of the grip/tubes, where the Swarovision model have green rubber instead.
"WB" is not a specifik model, it only states "Wide angle" and "Brillenträger" (screw-out eye cups).

Last edited:
I recall reading somewhere that the Swarovision models had the 'hawk' on the left barrel, but more knowledgeable BFers than I have not made this observation. I would like to know if what I recall is infallible or bunkum.

And the barrels on the SV slope downwards under the eyecups instead of being straight across and the name Swarovski is down by the objective lens instead of being in the middle of the barrel.

Lee

These are the images I found that might help.

Image 1- The non Swarovision EL bins manufactured pre 2010 have the "Swarovski" name on right barrel and the Habicht logo on left barrel.

Image 2 - The Swarovision EL SV's manufactured since 2010 have the "Swarovski" name on the left barrel and the Habicht logo on the right barrel.

Image 3 - Swarovski upgraded the Swarovisions in 2015 and they have "Swarovski" name on the left barrel facing outside and the Habicht logo on the right barrel closer to the eye piece. They have the noticeable newer strap connectors.

Attachments

• Swarovski_pre_SV.jpg
    Swarovski_pre_SV.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 97
  • SwarovskiSV.jpg
    SwarovskiSV.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Swarovski_SV_Fieldpro2.jpg
    Swarovski_SV_Fieldpro2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 129

Image 1- The non Swarovision EL bins manufactured pre 2010 have the "Swarovski" name on right barrel and the Habicht logo on left barrel.

Image 2 - The Swarovision EL SV's manufactured since 2010 have the "Swarovski" name on the left barrel and the Habicht logo on the right barrel.

Image 3 - Swarovski upgraded the Swarovisions in 2015 and they have "Swarovski" name on the left barrel facing outside and the Habicht logo on the right barrel closer to the eye piece. They have the noticeable newer strap connectors.

:t:

Better explanation! :t:

Thanks Theo98 and horukuru.

horukuru, I see that you are regularly updating your wonderful birding blog http://horukuru.blogspot.com

Can you tell what types of bins, sizes and magnifications you see when guiding birding groups? Do you see people from certain countries favor certain bins?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks Theo98 and horukuru.

horukuru, I see that you are regularly updating your wonderful birding blog http://horukuru.blogspot.com

Can you tell what types of bins, sizes and magnifications you see when guiding birding groups? Do you see people from certain countries favor certain bins?

Thanks in advance.

Hio Subzero888,

Mostly with 10x42 because of their origin with open country birding. For rainforest, bins with fast focus and wider field of view has the advantages to get the birds in focus. But women tend to get 8x32 because of the weight.

From my observations, Swarovski on top of the list followed by Leica/Zeiss and then Nikon. My clients came from UK, US and also Japan.

I settled for 8x32 in the rainforest and 10x42 for paddy field etc

Thanks horukuru. I prefer the SV 8x32 over all other bins now. For open fields my UVHD 10x42 is quite useful. Surprisingly they are both the same length. The SV 8x32 at 600 gm is the best all round bin I have ever tried, with easy eye placement, no blackouts and genuine one hand use.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back