• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need help re Fieldscope II eyepieces (1 Viewer)

b-lilja

I have had an FS II since the early 90s and it remains my single favorite piece of optical gear. I have a 20-45 zoom on it and would like to add a wide angle eyepiece. I also want to start digiscoping and am not sure about what eyepiece/converter to use for that. Does the FS II use the same eyepieces as the FS III? I am not wanting to spend tons.

Thanks!

Yes, same eyepieces fit to both, so you can go looking for FS III eyepieces. The 30/38 Wide, which is 30x on your scope, should be very good.

Kimmo

I recently put a 20x/30x/38x MC eyepiece on an old Sony Zoomeye (Mk.I, which I think is the same as the Nikon Fieldscope II), and it gives a really nice wide 20x image. (Edit - 30x image! Thanks Steve).

Last edited:
Hi Sancho, Did you get the Zoomeye off Lars? No need to apologise, you should see my mistakes before I fix them! I spend half my time fixing spelling etc.;)

I bought the Mk11 Fieldscope ED in the early 90s with the 20x and the 20-45 zoom. I later bought the 30x wideangle and afterwards rarely used the zoom and the 20x never.
I would imagine the latest 30x is better than my "first edition" 30x WA. Still a perfectly acceptable image.

I bought the Mk11 Fieldscope ED in the early 90s with the 20x and the 20-45 zoom. I later bought the 30x wideangle and afterwards rarely used the zoom and the 20x never.
I would imagine the latest 30x is better than my "first edition" 30x WA. Still a perfectly acceptable image.

Definitely. The very first version of the 30x WA is a different optical construction and the coatings aren't quite as good as those of the newer, multicoated version, but it's a very, very good eyepiece.

Hermann

Thanks everyone, between this and the other recent Nikon eyepiece posts this is helpful. I should clarify that I have an ED scope - not that that really matters.

Thanks everyone, between this and the other recent Nikon eyepiece posts this is helpful. I should clarify that I have an ED scope - not that that really matters.

b:
What size scope do you have? And what size fixed eyepiece are you looking for?
There is a wanted on the classifieds, and you may have some luck there.

Let us know.

Jerry

It's a 60mm. I'm looking for a wide angle mag between 20 and 30. With the zoom, it loses resolution as you increase magnification and I would rather have resolution than magnification.

One problem that no one has brought up in this thread (but much discussed elsewhere) is that Nikon no longer sells fixed eyepieces for the traditional fieldscopes in the US, with the exception of the 16/24/30x DS. If you like that one, Adorama and others have it for $270 or so. Otherwise, to get other models, you will have to do some serious searching, or else order from Amazon Japan using Tenso services (as described on some previous threads, such as this one: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2481007&highlight=amazon+tenso#post2481007 ).

--AP

I bought one!

Well, nothing like looking worldwide on the internet including Amazon Japan and then checking in with our local Captain's Nautical and finding that they have a couple reconditioned 24x/30x WA MC's for $190. Terrific eyepiece!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back