• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old SLC's, big improvement with factory refresh??? (1 Viewer)

westNE

All,

First of all thank you for the tremendous amount of information this forum brings to anyone willing to look at it.

I just acquired an old (1994) 10x42 SLC that has seen some use in it's life. As they set now with now serious scratches but most of the coatings in the center 1/2 of the ocular and objective lenses appear to be gone. The view is quite underwhelming as they set compared to the Gold Ring non-HD 10x42's I am comparing them to. Everything I look at during any time of day seems to be slightly hazy with washed out colors and the resolution is not what I expected even given their age. I plan to have Swarovski replace the outer objective and ocular lenses with new lenses using up to date coatings. Along with fixing the armor and focus issue.

My question is; if the new lenses are the only things replaced that will improve/change my view through the bino's will it be noticeable enough to alter my opinion. Should I not look through them any more and just wait for the splendid view through them upon their return?

I guess what I'm also wondering is if I'm going to get them back only to be further disappointed and find out I should have kept my gold rings(which are being sold to fund the SLC's) or bought Conquests or Maven B2's.

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited:
It is a 22 year old binocular and, as you noted, it has old coatings on its objective lenses and oculars, some which are going to be replaced and updated by Swarovski during its overall refurbishment which will, no doubt, include cleaning all the glass.

It should be considerably (and noticeably) improved.

It will likely have the same ergonomics the old one had (eye relief, field of view, weight etc.) and if you liked them then that is another positive. That part of "trying one before you decide to buy one" is over. Optically it could be as good (maybe better?) as the new Conquests and that isn't bad. If it costs you less than a new Conquest would cost you are ahead of the game.

Good luck with it!:t: Let us know how it turns out. I don't think something like this happens very often!

Bob

Last edited:
Bob,
Thank you for the response. In certainly a novice on the technical of optics and while I they would new lenses and better coatings on their return I wasn't sure if that was the primary factor in a better view our if there were other internals that would have a greater effect and leave them largely unchanged even with those new lenses.

I am really impressed with the Conquests, if they come back equal to that level I will be proud to use them for many years to come. If course there is the unspoken satisfaction that comes with using Swaro's in the field and personally I like the fact that it's a bino that should perform even without HD glass, dielectric coatings, a new trimmed down body to save weight, etc.

I will update this thread upon their return.

Thanks,
Nick

I got the email today from swarovski. All issues have been fixed that fall under their warranty; new armor, focus issue fixed, and new nameplate. Now for $175 they will replace all lenses, prisms, diopter, eyecups, and covers. Most will be replaced by newer generation parts. Not that I didn't trust you guys but I had no idea they were going to touch the prisms and other internals.

Absolutely no question now, I can't wait to see them! Hard to believe this kind of customer service still exists in the world.

Nick

That is good news! And you can't beat the price.

I believe it will get a new Serial Number also. Steve (Mooreorless) had his old 7x32 SLC refurbished and wrote about it here somewhere. Maybe he will read this?

Bob

I just picked up some 7x30 SLC B that were refreshed. The buyer was charged $250. Look like a new pair. The work was done in 2015 and they changed to a 2013 SN.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back