• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (4 Viewers)

Ta All. I am enjoying the rest but not the rain youve left up here Mike.

Made a start.
water colour ,trying to get her cold stare right before I move on.

Attachments

• L1220969.jpg
    L1220969.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 42
  • L1220971.jpg
    L1220971.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 39
Hi Arthur,

I just went through your whole thread, and your work is simply excellent! First-rate on both the sketches and the finished pieces. I particularly love the young House Martins! Yet another artist on this site who sets the bar very high for us newer and aspiring folks, wow.

Hi John and welcome only an amateur and still learning.

A nice day today so going out to enjoy.
this lady will have to wait

Attachments

• L1220991.jpg
    L1220991.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 54
Time to put it to one side and have a look later.
Water Colour & Gouache 1/2 Imp.
with the leg strenghtened. Thanks Jackie

Attachments

• L1230002.jpg
    L1230002.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 56
  • L1230014.jpg
    L1230014.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Beautifully angled eyes - so hard to do that without first rate observation. Love the way the branches and foliage mimic the shape of the breast markings, and love that well observed foot too. Can I be critical about one minor point? The top of the leg looks just a fraction too thin in the painting compared to your original sketch. Hope I'm not causing offence - feel free to critique my work.

You are becoming a master of pattern Arthur. The branches just seem to make the entire painting sway, and yet they fit in perfectly with the bird. It's all of a piece, just like so much of your work.

Well done, Arthur! You have conveyed 'the gaze' of raptors that makes me glad I'm not a small bird in this case.

Ta All.
Phil i think its the Bifocal nature of the bird having near and far distancewith a piercing stare.
This was taken last year of her sitting on one of the feeders.she's even used me as cover coming in just over the shoulderto snatch one off the feeders.Isee more of the male when they have young.
I think it was Ed who remarked about a cross eyed Sprawk.

Attachments

• Sp hawk.jpg
    Sp hawk.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 62
Perfect!

Cutting edge of Ornithology!

They are definitely "cross-eyed."

Very odd. But evolutionarily very clever!

Depth of field, offset eyes like owls' ears, vision pin-pointing in 3D, etc?

Good work Arthur! I have learnt from your personal superb observational art!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back