• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

**BROWNING 8x32 ROOF - Review** (1 Viewer)

So I have been wanting a pair of good hunting / birding binos (8x). I actually ordered the Pentax PCF WP II 8x40 but cancelled the order on a gut feeling.

Instead I purchased the Browning 8x32 roof prisms from Opticsplanet for $149.99 with free shipping. I really wanted the 8x42's but couldn't find any, plus I was looking for some additional portablility with the smaller size. All of the Browning models have been discountinued. I ordered them on Monday night and they arrived at my doorstep on Friday afternoon. That is one heck of a turnaround and the quickest "ground" shipping I have ever experienced!

The binos came in a very sturdy black and white box. The case for the binos is WAY too small. The instruction manual is quite useful and actually comes from BUSHNELL so I believe these are rebadged Bushnell Legends. They come with a lifetime warranty. The lens caps fit nicely. The strap is excellent with a thick width to distribute the weight along your neck. Enough about the packaging.

The lens coatings is a dull green. The ocular lense is a wopping 7/8" in diameter which is great because I hate binos with small oculars lens. Eye cups are twist up in 3 positions and are very solid and firm. There is no wiggling these eyecups. Diopter is stiff as well which is good. If you pull the diopter ring towards the objective it locks it but it is so stiff that locking isn't even neccessary.

I would say the optics are sharp to about 75% to 80%. They are very bright even in the evening. Color and contrast is excellent. The focusing is smooth and easy. Collimation was good from what I could tell. Close focusing was super. I could look down and focus my toes! Weird! Have you ever seen your toes through binos? The optics are definately crisp, especially for $150. Resoultion was good as well.

I believe these binos are a super deal at $150. If you are a hunter or birder looking for a good pair of binos for under $200 these should definately be considered.

Greetings,

I've actually been looking at these very binos with interest. A question for you - where are the Brownings made? In Japan, Korea, or China?

browning 8x32 good buy posted earller

received my browning 8x32 a while back and was pleasantly surprised of the quality. got them at a closeout for 119.95 and they have a couple of them left.they are fully multicoated waterproof fogproof,have a 3 position eyecup height and a right diopter lock,they say phase coated in the add but i did not see anything saying there were on the binoculars.collimation and alignment looked good. very good eye relief and good field of 396ft and close focus was down to about 5 ft,on axis sharpness was good so they must be phase coated,compaired them with my fujinon 8x42CD and could see no difference in image quality contrast and sharpness was the same,edge sharpness was also the same on both binoculars.little on the heavy side for a 32mm binocular 24 oz,got these for birding and teresteral viewing and biking,will give them a test tonight on stars and brightness.at 120.00 i have to give them a best buy in the 100 to 250.00 range for a roof prism,here is some more pictures of roof that i have test. comparison of some of my 8 to 10 power power binoculars.regards john

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:
I bought mine based upon cotascope's review. I think they are great for a second pair. I was looking for a pair of inexpensive 8x32's to keep in the car and these fit the bill perfectly. They could be a good primary pair as well but I haven't really put them to the test yet in that capacity. Certainly if you can get them at $120 they are a steal.

Browning 8x32 and comments on others

Although still I find myself perversely attracted to all manner of binoculars, I haven't had much stomach for cheap roofs over the past few years when it comes to the business of actually selecting/using/recommending a binocular for birding. I have a rather low opinion of cheap roofs because I have universally found them optically poor to mediocre due to narrow field of view (FOV), poor contrast, excessive chromatic aberration (CA), and small sweet spot owing to astigmatism and more complex aberrations/distortions outside the very center of the field (On the positive side, brightness and color neutrality generally seem quite good). Overall, I haven't found much optical difference between roofs costing $150 and those costing $500 or so, and have thus been ambivalent about the lot. There was a time when price and image quality were only crudely related, especially in the low/mid price range, so we binocular enthusiasts could give good advice about what to try and what to avoid. As of late, however, it seems that overall quality has improved to the point that there are few models that won't do the job, and because so many models are just rebranded clones of each other anyway, I haven't been that interested in keeping up with the various offerings (though I have been pleased to see that we've moved past the era of the ubiquitous 8x with ridiculously narrow 325 ft FOV--many of the latest models have wider fields). The best advice I've been able to give is to look through several pairs of something like the Nikon 8x36 Monarch to find the best individual unit.

A few years ago, I persuaded myself to get an Eagle Optics 8x32 Platinum Ranger thinking that it would be handy for bike rides (lightweight, good warranty) and as a casual use/lender pair. The very close focus (3 feet) appealed to me for butterfly watching as a smaller and much lighter weight replacement for my B&L Elite 8x42. The first unit I got was optically awful (horrible resolution, even in the center), out of alignment, and didn't meet spec for close focus. I returned them and received a much better pair, but they are still pretty yucky due to poor contrast and small sweet spot. Because of the latter, they aren't even very good for butterflying because the field overlap at closest distances doesn't include the sweet spot. Overall, I feel silly for purchasing them, especially given their $300+ price (I consider them my most expensive binocular purchase). They live in the closet now. I promised myself never to buy another cheap roof. My subsequently purchased Pentax 6.5x21 Papilio and Zeiss 8x32 FL became my favorite butterflying binocs, and I carry my Zeiss 8x20 Victory on bike rides.

Still, I've not stayed away from cheap roofs entirely--I've tried various models in stores and have taken a look through other birders' binos when out birding together. Nothing I've seen has changed my attitude about this class of binos. Over winter break (late December), I had a chance to try a variety of models that I hadn't looked at before or in a while. Here are some quick reactions:

Nikon 8x36 Monarch--I like these a lot. The sweet spot is nicely large, there is very little field edge aberration (but there is curvature of field), FOV is reasonable, but CA is excessive as is typically the case for cheap roofs, and contrast is poor in backlit situations due to flare (also typical of cheap roofs).

REI 8x42 XR--impressively compact, nice FOV (367 ft), nice eye-relief, $160. Nice build, and the specs were great but contrast was lacking, CA higher than average, and something was wrong with the element alignment in one barrel of the unit I tried thereby compromising the resolution.

Vortex 8x42 Viper--Nice comfortable view due to excellent eye-relief and sweet spot, though a bit restricted (347 ft FOV). Fast but precise focus, nice ergonomics and styling. These seemed quite functional optically, though they had quite a bit more CA (even in the very center of the field) than my Leica 8x42 Ultravid which have never impressed me w/respect to CA control. Color rendition seemed very neutral to me (I've read that others have found them on the warm side). All in all a fine bino but the price seems high ($500) because I'm not sure how they're any better than the best of the cheaper offerings.

Bushnell 8x43 Elite--Plenty functional, but sweet spot size and field edge performance were unimpressive. Very pricey ($950) given the overall optical quality.

Bushnell 8x42 e2--Shockingly bad. These must be one of the most overpriced binoculars currently available ($500). They have a narrow FOV, considerable astigmatic and other aberrations outside the very center of the field, buckets of CA.

And then, immediately after trying the latter two models at the Bushnell factory outlet/showcase (near the world headquarters in Lenexa, KS), I picked up the Browning 8x32. I knew at once that I wasn't going to be able to resist buying them, despite my promise to myself not to get another cheap roof (Sancho, if you're reading this, I still promise to buy no new optics in 2008--got these on 31 December 2007!) and despite their higher price at the Bushnell showcase in comparison to other stores ($220 versus $150). These are supposed to be optically identical to the Bushnell 8x32 Legend, although I've tried the Legend and have not been especially impressed (unfortunately, didn't think to try them at the outlet). Maybe they've been tweaked since I last tried them 5+ years ago.

Browning 8x32: Optically, these were a breath of fresh air after the Bushnell Elite and e2. The view is pleasingly sharp across the field. Though there is some curvature of field, the sweet spot is very large and there is EXCEEDINGLY LITTLE astigmatism or any other field edge aberration, so it is a wonderfully easy and open view, all the way to the edges. That said, the view (396 ft) does feel a bit restricted in comparison to those of my Swarovski 8x32 EL and Zeiss 8x32 FL (both 420 ft). CA is very well controlled--better than some of my top roofs off-axis, and almost as good in the center as my Swarovski (the Zeiss FL is the lone standout as being especially better in both respects). Contrast is quite good in most situations, much better than I expect from cheap roofs (VASTLY superior to my Eagle Optics 8x32 Platinum Ranger) but not is quite as good in direct comparison to my Swarovski or Zeiss. Color rendition seems very neutral to me, though colors are slightly subdued in direct comparison with the Swarovski and Zeiss. Eye-relief is quite good (fine for my glasses). I'll describe the Browning's one big optical failing below.

Ergonomically, I find the Browning a pleasure in the hand. They don't have the extreme styling of their Legend counterpart. The build is pleasingly solid (lots of metal in the construction where many binos use plastic these days), and they are a bit on the heavy side for an 8x32. The barrels are slim enough that my big thumbs have plenty of room to fit between the barrels underneath the hinge, and are long enough that I can curl my pinkies around the ends of the barrels (my preferred hold) and my thumbs don't rub against the end of my nose. The focus knob falls perfectly under my fingers. Focus has a slightly tight but well lubricated "hydraulic" feel, and has no extra play in it. Close focus is exactly 4 feet, and image quality is excellent. Focus direction is for closer with a pull of the right fingers (backwards from the Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski standard). I've tried them in the cold a few times (down to -15 degrees F) and found that the grease gets stiff but that with first use in the cold the focus seems to break free of the grease quite easily and turns very smoothly and freely thereafter (hydraulic "lubricated" feel is restored after warming up). In size, the Browning 8x32 is a bit longer than the Leica and Zeiss 8x32 and a bit shorter than the Swarovski. Unlike others who have reported the case to be too small, I find it a snug but perfect fit (just the way I prefer), so the Brownings pack almost as well as the Leica Ultra/Trinovid in their leather case, or a Zeiss FL in the Leica case, and pack much better than my Swarovski in their bulky Zeiss case (ridiculously large for the 8x32 FL).

All in all, I've described the Browning 8x32 as being nearly as good as my best 8x32 roofs, and in most respects they are. I've had plenty of opportunity to test them indoors and in the field, and except in direct side by side comparison to my best roofs, I do not find them inferior most of the time. That is something I've never been able to say about a cheap roof prism before.

The Browning 8x32 has one significant failing in comparison to top-end roofs, a failing it shares with every cheap roof I've ever tested. It is the model's one ACHILLES HEEL--lens flare. Direct light, especially when shining from well off-axis onto the objectives can cause the objectives to light up, casting a veil of illumination over almost the entire FOV, destroying contrast catastrophically. On overcast days, it generally isn't a problem, but on sunny days it can be on occasion. Kind of reminds me of the performance of the Zeiss 8x30 Classic. In my test setup indoors, I can create horrific lens flare in the Browning, whereas my Swarovski EL, Leica Ultra/Trinovid, and Zeiss FL 8x32 are largely immune. If fitted with some auxilliary lens hoods, I suppose the problem could be largely eliminated.

All in all, I find the Browning very impressive irrespective of cost. I discovered the lens flare issue in the store by deliberately checking for it (store lighting makes it hard to do this) but decided that for $220 I could accept that failing. Given that these are selling for $150 or less on line, I'm happy to recommend them as I like them much more than the Nikon 8x36 Monarch. Furthermore, these are the first cheap roof that I like better overall (even optically, overall) than cheap porro-prisms. As always, beware unit to unit variation if you give these a try, but the design seems a good one.

--AP

I also purchased a pair of Browning 8x32 as my first pair of decent binos, based on the recommendations here.

There are a couple of main things that I have noticed about them, though Alexis has pretty well covered these binos to a T.

I've found the lens flare issue to show up whenever the sun is in the direction of viewing. It appears to varying degrees as a whitish washed out look, the image is still quite clear but if I shadow the objectives with a free hand (I find the binoculars very easy to hold and operate with one hand) I notice a fair difference. It's not such a significant problem that it would stop me from buying these binos.

Some people had concerns with the case. I like the case as it is compact, which makes it good for packing into a rucksack for hiking. There's no doubt the fitting is tight, maybe they could have just made it a few millimetres bigger.

The lens caps fit ok for storage but would be annoying in the field. The objective lens are set back from the end of the barrel so I don't think using the lens caps in the field is necessary. I use mine on the water in windy conditions and haven't got a drop of water on the objectives. I inquired about tethered caps because I want to take good care of mine but after using them a bit in the field I wouldn't bother. In fact, I would find tethered caps a hindrance. The rainguard works nicely.

I'm most impressed with the build quality and the clarity and colour of the images. I got to ID one small bird (striated pardalote) which I had seen a number of times but couldn't make out any feature or colour through my old binos. Looking at it through these binos I could see the throat buff and eye markings clearly which made it an easy ID.

EDIT:
I was apprehensive about choosing a 32mm objective instead of the "standard" 42mm. I used mine at night to look at a tawny frogmouth in torch light and didn't find the 32mm lacking at all.

Last edited:
I just received a pair of Browning 8x32s yesterday and I'm impressed. I agree with all the positive things that Alexis and others have written. They are an amazing value at the prices they've been going for. Even at full retail I would consider them a bargain.

I for one like the tight case for the compact dimensions. The Brownings are more prone to flare than my Leica 8x32 BNs but hey something's got to give, right? I don't find the flare issue much of a problem though and otherwise they are surprisingly good optically and their build quality is very high. I like the strap also, very comfortable.

With price factored in, I'd have to give these a 10 of 10.

I Agree with Alexis Powell about optics Quality but I also understand not everyone can afford $1,000 plus binoculars,Yes the Nikon Monarch 8x36 are Excellent optics for the price and a very good choice I looked through them and liked the image quality I decided on a Kowa BD 8x32 and Love that binocular in both build quality and optics Quality very bright views 390 ft of view very close focus for butterfly viewing of 5 feet a Excellent binocular for the money I just ordered a Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED which I am expecting today I can not comment on it because I have not looked through one.I wanted a larger aperture of 42 mm but 44 is fine I bought this on good reviews of this binocular plus I heard porros have a nice view I believe and know there are very good binoculars for your money you just have to shop around and compare Yes you can have Great optics for $350- $500 Nikon,Kowa,Swift,Leupold,etc.If you are wealthy then by all means buy a Leica ,Swarovski,Zeiss, I am not so I look for the best bang for the buck as they say.There are nice optics for everyone and every persons budget to enjoy and the best optical opinions are your own eyes for what you like.Enjoy your day.

Had mine for a couple of months. This thread prompted me to buy them.
I upgraded to the Pentax DCF SP 8x32 which have far superior optics, but the Brownings are probably made in the same factory. They have all the same features, and are almost identical except at the objective end(attached a pic). I actually like the rubber armor of the Brownings better, especially how it surrounds the strap attachment points which are also set slightly closer to the eyepieces, plus the checkered sections for grip. The Browning also has knurling on the diopter ring and focus knob that is much better than the straight grooves on the Pentax, whose focus knob becomes slippery when wet.
The Browning also comes with a better rainguard, and MUCH better strap.
Unfortunately the glare problem is very noticeable, and renders them almost unusable both in direct sunlight, and in the evenings at my work, which is an industrial environment with lots of ambient light from high output light fixtures.
Friends and family who own only inexpensive porros have all been highly impressed with them, and either my father or one of my friends will probably get them as a gift.

Attachments

• DSCN2710.jpg
    DSCN2710.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 552
I have to say I'm just not getting a major problem with flare that some of you are.

After reading Owen's account, I went out this morning while there was a low angle bright sun and tried to induce flare. And while it was there no doubt, I actually came away thinking they're not bad at all in this regard. As Alexis points out and I've experienced, Leicas are virtually immune to flare and I suppose by that standard the Brownings have a lot but I still thought the view was acceptable. I have a pair of Nikon Prostaff 8x25s that are FAR worse with milky wash-out at times, trailing orbs of light at others.

If this is the trade-off for this quality at under $200., I accept that with a smile. :t:

Last edited:
After reading Owen's account, I went out this morning while there was a low angle bright sun and tried to induce flare. And while it was there no doubt, I actually came away thinking they're not bad at all in this regard.
Yeah, I didn't mean to exaggerate, just sometimes forget that I do live on "Sunrise Dr." on the side of a ridge. I like to watch hawks in the morning circling over a valley backdropped by another ridge perpendicular to mine that the sun comes up over-directly into your eyes if glassing in that direction. Probably a very challenging circumstance for any optic.
I'm not disappointed in the Brownings, and don't mean to give that impression. It just can't handle that direct sunlight. It's fine before the suns breaks over the ridge, and after it is overhead.

Attachments

• DSCN2701.jpg
    DSCN2701.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 260
Probably not. They have been discontinued by Browning from what I understand. So what shops have left in stock is all that there is available. A quick Google search didn't reveal much except that there's virtually none available.

FWIW, since the Brownings are becoming scarce, next best deal I see is the Bushnell Legend 8x32 (virtually identical optically) for $180 at Bass Pro (online only, but may be some around to look at in stores as well?). Note that they are "Mossy Oak" camo finish, not black. Anyway, great price for a waterproof, phase coated 32mm roof bino, has the Rainguard exterior coating, close focus under 5 ft., and 396' FOV.

Browning 8 x32 binoculars

I own "6" pairs of binoculars and I'll list them; Fujinon Meibo 7 x 35 military compact, Pentax 8 x 32 DCF WP, Browning 8 x 32, Pentax 8 x 36 DCF HS, Pentax 8 x 42DCF WP and a pair of Pentax 10 x 42 DCF WP.
Based on Alexis's recommendation on the Browning 8 x 32 I was able to find a new pair (whew!! looked for a month). I wanted to give some feedback to everyone. I found the build quality very high for what I paid for them especially the; amoured coating, focusing ability, Duralite lens coating, fit and finish, strap, case and very nice presentation box (under $150.00).
I did find the infamous flare that really irritated me at first! Also, the weight
(23.6 oz.) is not really a factor for me. I realized that the flare phonomenon would not be something that I would experience all the time an can easily be corrected by adjusting your viewing angle. I have never experieced flaring with my Pentax's. Overall though, for the price (they look very expensive ($600-$700 range) I found them to be an excellent binocular. I never went for the really high priced binoculars but would consider, one step up from my Pentax WP's is the Pentax SP model in 8 x 32. My favorite binoculars are the Pentax series WP's(thats why I have so many pairs!!) and they are hard to beat! Of course, my reasonably priced Pentax 8 x 42's DCF WP's are a favorite pick in comparison to the higher priced Zeiss, Leica and Swavorski binoculars. The Pentax 8 x 32 DCF ED are at the top of the list and would consider selling some of my binoculars to own a pair after my friend purchased a pair and he let me audition them!!! A Fantastic Binocular!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back