• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A song and dance (1 Viewer)

helenol

Why do blackbirds make such a song and dance before retiring for the evening? I was in the garden a 4.30pm, and all around me was the sound of the blackbird. Surely by doing this they are attracting attention to themselves?

Hi Helen.
Thats blackbirds for you! no 1 of the reasons is that at this time of year as you will now there
are quite a few migrants about and all this shouting is about roosting space. more to the point HIS roosting space, the pecking order tends
to get out of order so he is just putting this upstart in his place!!! It can also be a sign of a
Tawny owl or a cat.
bert.

Talking about cats, I find that the bird one can rely on the most when a cat is around (or other danger) apart from the blackbird is the magpie. Whenever I hear one of them screeching its head off you can guarantee something is lurking somewhere that poses a threat.

Yeah thats true This happened in May this year not actually a Blackbird but I got woken up at 4am by a bunch of noisy crows so I looked out the window and saw a cat I just watched it go away. During that day I was on the Bird Forum and heard another Crow noise I looked and saw a Crow chasing a cat of and the cat didn't care about the crow just kept on going and since then Ive never seen another cat since mebe they think the crows will be there ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back