• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few Scottish mystery birds. (1 Viewer)

Stonefaction

Dundee Birding....(target 150 in 2024).
Scotland
A few bird photos that have had me scratching my head a wee bit. All taken in Scotland.
First one appears to be a Common Buzzard but the tail shape feather edges are unlike any other Buzzard I've seen before or since (apologies for quality). August 2007 Forfar Loch

Second one was also taken at Forfar Loch August 2007. I assume it's a juvenille Willow Warbler, but the shape doesn't look Willow Warbler to me but it may just be the angle in the photo, as it looks more like one in the other 2 pics I have.
Couple more here...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2714/4421853465_f712bca610.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2787/4421853723_bfbd2ef57e_b.jpg

Third one is a juvenille bird from last June in one of the Angus Glens
Stonechat/Whinchat?

Attachments

• 4473996267_0a659228fd_o.jpg
    4473996267_0a659228fd_o.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 4474788378_dca89b3a55_o.jpg
    4474788378_dca89b3a55_o.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 4474812192_477573788d.jpg
    4474812192_477573788d.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 258
Fourth one is a rather nondescript brown-ish coloured Warbler, once again taken at Forfar Loch, in early May. Apologies for quality. A quick grab shot as it flew off fence.

Attachments

• 4474062317_0c2615e2f3_o.jpg
    4474062317_0c2615e2f3_o.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 195
hi stonefaction im from your area dundee you have some stunning pics on your online galleries, we both visit the same areas, the first pic looks like a raven,they are moving east, a pair have been breeding near tullybackhart for a few years they are now frequenting the sidlaws ,not sure where they will build a nest though, im crap at warblers, but i often see chats, your 3rd pick looks like some sort of pipit chats bodys are very short , looks like some sort of pipit probably meadow (im crap at pipits to)

Last edited:
Picture 1 shows IMO a Common Buzzard.

3 IMHO a juvenile Stonechat. Note the amount of white on the scapulars. Also they have spotted/streaked breast and flanks. Strangely, fieldguides tend to avoid this plumage!

2 and 4? Juvenile Willow Warblers have to have time to grow their primary projections in August!
But 2 suggests Chiffchaff to me, and 4 is odd. Suggesting a Phylloscopus of that species pair.

It feels, to myself, like a Willow juvenile, still growing out its primaries IMHO. (The very long tail suggests that to me.)

I'm sure resolution will follow from others!

Keep on posting!

Last edited:
#3 looks a juv Pied Flycatcher

I've never seen a juvenile Pied Fly Motmot, and could not find a reference photo. :-C

That sounds a better option, perhaps, though?

Can anyone link a few good photos of this species in juvenile plumage?

Regards,

Phil

the white bar confused me in pic 3, but the length of the body including the tail doesn,t look like a stonechat to me

the white bar confused me in pic 3, but the length of the body including the tail doesn,t look like a stonechat to me

I think Motmot is correct. But have no reference at all to juv Pied Fly. Sorry.

When people awake, I'm sure more life will be blown into this thread.

Was just me "thinking aloud exposed to the entire world again!"

But, if we don't try? An eventual consensus never gets there?

Can't see it as a Meadow Pipit though! :cat:

I think Motmot is correct. But have no reference at all to juv Pied Fly. Sorry.

When people awake, I'm sure more life will be blown into this thread.

Was just me "thinking aloud exposed to the entire world again!"

But, if we don't try? An eventual consensus never gets there?

Can't see it as a Meadow Pipit though! :cat:

A couple juv Pieds from Spain (iberiae):

http://www.micuadernodecampo.com/imagenes/papamoscascerrojillo/230705-gredos.jpg

http://www.micuadernodecampo.com/imagenes/papamoscascerrojillo/230705-gredos1.jpg

I'd never really been aware of the identification pitfall of juvenile Stonechat and Pied Flycatcher. But I reckon number 3 is a Stonechat. That would be a much likelier bird in that area too.

I'd never really been aware of the identification pitfall of juvenile Stonechat and Pied Flycatcher. But I reckon number 3 is a Stonechat. That would be a much likelier bird in that area too.

You could well be right. The bird looked to me more flycather shaped but once I blowed the pic up the wing design and eye size look somewhat better for stonechat.

I agree with stonechat, though with a lot of looking hard at the photos, the shape of the white on the inner greater coverts of stonechat forms a panel, which we can see on the bird in question, on a p fly, there isn't this panel.

Otherwise, buzzard, 1cy willow warbler (colour and head pattern, plus pinkish lower mandible) and I'm not going to touch the other warbler.

Picture 1 shows IMO a Common Buzzard.

3 IMHO a juvenile Stonechat. Note the amount of white on the scapulars. Also they have spotted/streaked breast and flanks. Strangely, fieldguides tend to avoid this plumage!

2 and 4? Juvenile Willow Warblers have to have time to grow their primary projections in August!
But 2 suggests Chiffchaff to me, and 4 is odd. Suggesting a Phylloscopus of that species pair.

It feels, to myself, like a Willow juvenile, still growing out its primaries IMHO. (The very long tail suggests that to me.)

I'm sure resolution will follow from others!

Keep on posting!

24 later?

Pretty happy on 2 this is a Chiff.

:eat:

Thanks folks for taking the time to have a look and offer up suggestions. Looks like I was on the right track with the first three.

1. Common Buzzard - was my feeling that it was "only" a Buzzard, but the tail shape looked odd (Definitely not a Raven - white areas are visible on the original photo - doesn't show up well on the cropped version).

2. Willow Warbler(/Chiffchaff) - bird was very yellow-greenish overall in colour, I couldn't find anything resembling the look in any of my fieldguides, although juvenille Willow Warbler sounded the best bet (no illustrations). I struggle badly with Warblers ID (especially Willow Warbler/Chiffchaff).

3. I've seen and photographed young Stonechat before at St Andrews and this bird looked similar, but not 100% the same (with Pied Flycatcher being the only other possibility I found - although I couldn't rule out a young Whinchat - had only ever seen 1 adult Whinchat before, so my knowledge of that species was very limited).

4. I thought Willow Warbler primarily because they are the predominant warbler at Forfar Loch, although it was a duller looking bird than most I've seen (more grey-brown), which made me wonder.

Good to know I'm doing better than I thought I was with Id-ing unusual birds that I've seen. Thanks again, all.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back