• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Prime HD 10x42 review. (1 Viewer)

jnielsen

Picked up a prime 10x yesterday and thought I would post my findings.

I was able to compare it to my Zeiss 10x42 Victory FL, 8.5x42 Swarovision and what has become my gold standard to compare mid price optics to-my Leupold cascade series 8x42 porro.

Eye cups-I have no problem with the size, yes they are large and when the IPD is set for my eyes they are resting on my nose more than other bino I have used. So far there are no problems with side light getting into them and bothering the view. You get used to it, I have after only two days of use. Funny thing is after I use them for a while then switch back to my other binos then the other binos eye cups feel strange also.

CA- there is some moderate CA in the last 10% of the FOV to the edges, not bad at all. My Swarovision shows some in the last 5% an the FL just at the very edge, perhaps the last 2%.

Glare-I was not able to introduce any noticeable glare with the sun at the front, rear or to the sides of the Prime-very good performance and handling of stray light. I have never had a problem with it in the FL or SV.

Sweet spot- about 80% of the FOV the images are sharp, the SV takes this to around 90% and the FL as expected is around 70%, however, the Zen only shows field curvature in the last 10 % of the FOV where in the FL its around 25-30% of the FOV. The SV wins the show with just a little field curvature in the last 5% or less.

Sharpness-this is the tricky one on the Prime. I found it is very important to find the perfect setting on the diopter. I have read the Prime has a sharper region about half way between the center of the FOV and the edge and I was able to see it. With the sun low on the horizon this morning (not low light by any means) and around the same time when its easy to see CA the Prime was not as sharp in the center of the view as it was in the region halfway to the edge. When the sun climbed higher in the sky and the light increased to its maximum levels (9:00 am) this trait was no longer noticeable.
So in effect the center sharpness improved or possibly it was the other way around with the sharpness decreasing in that previously sharp region-I have no idea?? If this was a design compromise to get sharper edges in the Prime I feel it is a mistake. I would rather have maximum center sharpness and give up some edge sharpness.

The FL and SV are sharper in all conditions than the prime, this is acceptable and expected. The center sharpness of the cascade was better also but in defense of the Prime the cascade is an 8x and has beaten every other glass I have compared it to including a 8x43 ED2, Bushnell original split bridge elite 8x43, a new bushnell elite ED 8x42 and a Brunton Epoch 7.5x43, Leupold mojave BX3 10x42. Of the glass I have owned and used only the FL and SV have beat the cascades center sharpness and only in certain difficult light/atmospheric conditions.

Contrast, color of view ect. Prime is neutral, a lot like the cascade. Fl has a green cast to its view, SV has the best contrast, color vibrancy.

I have not yet compared the Prime to the SV and FL in low light. I will compare brightness. If you want to know my thoughts on the SV and FL in low light shoot me a PM. In short my 8.5 SV is superior to my 10x FL.

Rolling ball-it is here and evident in my Prime, just as much so as in my SV.

No QC issues with my Prime, no dust or debris inside. Wish the diopter ring had means to lock it in position, it will be problematic.

Focus is great both directions as is the tension, hinge is amply tight.

I will post my findings on low light performance when I get a chance.

I am happy with the Prime so far and feel it is worth its price.

Last edited:
Yet another thread backing up my claim of the world class resolution of the Cascade, Opticron HR WP, and Minox BP. These are the best of the best roof's being compared to these extremely affordable Cascade Poro's. Sorry to use your post for my rant, but it seems like it's hard to get the point across on just how good these things are for such a paltry sum. That being said, I also love my ED2's for their superb overall performance. Sorry for trolling on your post.

Bruce

The FL and SV are sharper in all conditions than the prime, this is acceptable and expected. The center sharpness of the cascade was better also but in defense of the Prime the cascade is an 8x and has beaten every other glass I have compared it to including a 8x43 ED2, Bushnell original split bridge elite 8x43, a new bushnell elite ED 8x42 and a Brunton Epoch 7.5x43, Leupold mojave BX3 10x42. Of the glass I have owned and used only the FL and SV have beat the cascades center sharpness and only in certain difficult light/atmospheric conditions.

With the eye cups down the FOV doesn't bother me that much. What does bother me is the CA, but they are still the only thing I've seen with "Alpha" resolution in a cheap bino. I must admit that I haven't seen Vixen 7X Porro that Frank likes though. If I have to compromise in a budget bin, I will take resolution and brightness all day over FOV.

If you've got the stones to put the cash on the barrel head, then I'm sure SV is the finest overall view on the planet. This post is about the Prime, so its time for me to get off the soapbox.

Bruce

Yes the sharpness of the Cascade is great but only in its very small sweet spot, and as you know the Fov is lacking

Last edited:
Took the Primes out for another run this morning. Also did some low light testing last night.

To rank their brightness of the 8.5 SV, 10x FL and Prime.

8.5x42 SV low light 100
10x42 FL low light 95-98
Prime 10x42 low light 88-90

I am still seeing a slight sharpness increase in the zone of the FOV that is halfway between the center of the view and the edge but I have discovered I have been getting some glare just off center on the occular lenses ( side light light getting through between my face and the eye cups) that was causing some of the lack of center sharpness in the view.

Overall I am very happy with the Prime.

Overall I tend to agree with the review and general assessments. No, the Prime is not an "alpha killer", it was not intended to be. What it was intended to do was to flatten the field and sharpen the edges of the ZEN ED series. That these binoculars can compare pretty well to much more expensive stuff speaks volumes, I think. I also think ZR achieved their goal.

The presence od internal specks is kind of troublesome, but they have the problem identified and it should go away in the next run. I finally noticed the presence of a speck in my 8x, but it is pretty small and I had the binoculkar for quite a while before I noticed it, and I thought I looked pretty hard for them when I got it.

In my experience the 8x Prime is a better overall binocular, brighter into twilight than the 10x, so I'd like to see how the 8x fits into the selection you have. I decided to keep the 8x instead of the 10x. I have showed both to many people and nobody preferred the 10x to the 8x, even if they looked at the 10x first and went "wow". As I have posted earlier there is nothing wrong with the 10x either. In fact I nearly kept it because the eye relief on the 10 is better for me than the 8.

I have the 10x42 PRIME HD and upgraded to it from the Zen-Ray 10x43 ED3, which is a great value in itself - the Prime for me is even better although I do notice the "globe effect". So far no specks or any other problems, though - the mechanical and optical quality for the price paid makes them a good buy for me and I am quite happy with them.

Steve, have you noticed in any of the samples you have had the area between center and edge of the FOV of increased sharpness I am seeing in my 10x ?

Thanks

Steve, have you noticed in any of the samples you have had the area between center and edge of the FOV of increased sharpness I am seeing in my 10x ?

Thanks

I intended to put this in my last post, but forgot. No, I do not see what you reference in regards to increased sharpness away from centerfield, neither in the beta sample I had or the 8x or 10x production samples. The field is quite flat and sharpness pretty much constant over the quite large sweet spot.

I also agree with Osage archer in that I also think the Prime is a better image than any of the ZEN ED series.

Did you compare the Cascade with those three.

Thanks Bruce

Took the Primes out for another run this morning. Also did some low light testing last night.

To rank their brightness of the 8.5 SV, 10x FL and Prime.

8.5x42 SV low light 100
10x42 FL low light 95-98
Prime 10x42 low light 88-90

I am still seeing a slight sharpness increase in the zone of the FOV that is halfway between the center of the view and the edge but I have discovered I have been getting some glare just off center on the occular lenses ( side light light getting through between my face and the eye cups) that was causing some of the lack of center sharpness in the view.

Overall I am very happy with the Prime.

The cascade 8x42 I have has the same apparent brightness in low light as my 10x42 FL. The FL can render a more detailed and sharper image in low light.

I think I have a cherry cascade, I use to own a Minox BP 10x44 and it just was not in the ballpark optically as my 8x cascade. The prime is a much better glass overall than the 10x Minox I had (sold it ,never was happy with it).

Steve, I would love to try a 8X prime. Perhaps after hunting season I will have to give one a try.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a sub par Minox.

I think I have a cherry cascade, I use to own a Minox BP 10x44 and it just was not in the ballpark optically as my 8x cascade. The prime is a much better glass overall than the 10x Minox I had (sold it ,never was happy with it).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back