• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Time for an upgrade - 40d with 300mm f4 + 1.4 converter to? Advice apprecated (1 Viewer)

Ronayne88

Seán Ronayne
Hi all,

I have been using a Canon 40D with the 300mm f4 and 1.4 converter for about 3 years now and have really enjoyed this combination. However, I would really like to step my game up a bit now and would like better detail and/or reach to my pictures. Can anyone suggest the next logical upgrades? I have a budget of approx 1000-1500 euro.

Any help appreciated,

Seán.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30446442@N05/

My options would be:
Camera - 7DMkii or lens
Canon 400mm f5.6

I woudl go for the 7Dmkii and SAVE!! you can get some decent deals on mk1 500mm & 600mm lens but they still cost way more than your current budget. you could always try renting different lenses which woudl give you use but allow you to decide which is better for your needs.The 600mm mk1 is heavy. remember that the bigger (heavier) the lens the more robust the tripod, head needs to be (equates to $$$).
Good luck with your decision and you can never get enough reach for bird photography!!

John

How about the Sigma Sport 150-600? Spend time learning how to get the best out of it and save for a body update later in the year.
Russ

You say your budget is up to 1500 Euro, does that include selling your existing gear?
If you can sell your existing 300mm the that + most of your budget would get you a Canon 7D Mk2 ans a Canon 400 F5.6 L - so long as you are willing to buy a "Grey Import". Many are afraid of these imports - I am not, both my 1DX and 7D2 are "Grey" and are just fine!
The Canon 400 F5.6 would be a significant upgrade for your birding needs though it does not have IS - I prefer not to have IS as you get faster focus without it and it is of limited (if any) use on moving subjects. The Canon 7D2 does have a downside - namely it would be quite a learning curve after your 40D. However it is a far more advanced camera offering increased resolution, much faster response, higher frame rate and vastly superior AF and significantly better ISO performance. It does like batteries so budget for a spare!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back