• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First attempt at Drawing and Painting Birds (1 Viewer)

Thanks Deb
I was pretty pleased with the close up head of the Whitethroat, and for that matter the Blackbird!

Zac

Hi Zac

Wonderful drawings yet again :t:

You have the Blackbird pose to a tee, and the Whitethroat is super too :-O

Carry on doing what you are doing, you improving really fast now.

;)

Nice sketches Zac.

Little tip keep your pencils sharp , dont press so hard and you will find the shapes and lines will flow much easier.

Hi Arthur,
It's funny you should mention that, I don't press on hard, hardly at all! But my scanner was malfunctioning last night and would not pick up the lines so I had to go over the lines again...

Glad you like!

Zac

Hi Everyone.
I am not going to do the Whitethroat right away, because I feel that I am currently inexperienced with Bird Art. I want to get the hang of Sketching first.

Zac

(P.S. Can anyone give me any tips Re: Drawing/Painting Bushes, Trees and Plants. (also, for the Whitethroat, what would be the easiest, yet most accurate scrub type bush to attempt?)

I thought I was duty bound to do a few sketch's of my Favourite Bird - the American Robin.
All of the Drawings are of the Bird in Bingley, Leeds. This is the only time I have ever seen one, and It was on my Birthday too, so that made it extra special
I am not pleased with the coloured in Bird, because the scanner did a terrible job of scanning!
Nevertheless, I hope you can enjoy them!

Attachments

• AMRO018.jpg
    AMRO018.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 123
Funny, how a common bird becomes such a special thing to new eyes (I've similarly always considered Fieldfares to be such interesting and beautifully patterned thrushes, though I think a hop across the pond is in order before I'll ever see one in the flesh). Some great sketches, you've captured this one well!

Hi zac,
Excellent work. I love the middle bottom sketch with the dropped wings. Lots of character in them.I enjoyed seeing the am robin at Bingley myself. Stunning bird.
Steve

I think, when I get my act together Re: Painting, I must attempt to do the 3 birds that graced Martin Mere WWT, Lancashire last year. Such an unusual record. I never really understood what happened to the 3rd, jut one day it said 2 Black Winged Stilt on eggs from John Barker hide, Martin Mere WWT.

Attachments

• BWS019.jpg
    BWS019.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 118
Lovely stilts Zac, are the legs a little short I wonder? I remember the last time I tried to draw stilts - Titchwell's sammy RIP, I drew the legs too short, not daring to make them look as ridiculous as the bird's own legs! I really like the little compositional sketch in the corner.

I would agree that the legs are a little short up to the knee, but the water at MMWWT is pretty deep, although, I have have never seen a pic of a stilt with water up to the body. Maybe they really are too long!

These really are fantastic little sketches Zac

What kind of pencils are you using? I always find it difficult to apply the correct amount of pressure to get the desired effect so just use a biro instead!!

Matt

Well Matt, I don't use a great deal. At the start I was sketching with a HB anda 2B. Now I just use a 6B, although the one I use is a pure Graphite 6B, which I like as you can use the the side of the tip that Is about 1.5cm length, so you can cover a larger area.
For the Crayons, I use Dewhurst Watercolour encils, without the Water!

Hope this helps a bit!

Zac

Hi Zac,
Nice sketches. I like the one dropping into the compositional sketch. I managed to see these birds also. A very rare bird in lancashire. I look forward to seeing the painting.
Steve

I'm beginning to incorporate more scenery with my pics, rather than the bird on its own. This way I can get more comfortable when it comes to painting, and I don't have to draw feet!

Attachments

• SL020.jpg
    SL020.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 118
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back