• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One of Those Unforgettables (1 Viewer)

Bluetail

Senior Moment
This morning, bright and early, I took myself off to a coastal site I rarely visit. It's one of those places that always looks as if it should harbour coachloads of rarities, but for some reason never does. Today wasn't any different, but it displayed all those qualities that keep drawing me back every now and again.

The birds were in full swing. Small groups of finches were all over the place: four Chaffinches flushed from the footpath hedge, a few Greenfinches, Goldfinches with young, Linnets (nearly all rose-pink males; I suppose the females must still be sitting) and, best of all, a couple of male Bullfinches, resplendent as tomatos (if you can call a tomato resplendent). A female Cirl Bunting popped up onto the hedge, looked me in the eye and flitted away.

But the really ubiquitous birds were the warblers. Not that there was a lot of variety. A family of Chiffchaffs was being fed, the parents picking insects off a cliff face warming in the sun. A solitary Willow Warbler popped up briefly in another bush. All the other warblers were Whitethroats. Loads of them. They were all over the scrub and bracken. There were several obvious family parties. Really great to see such numbers though I don't suppose they'll ever regain their pre-1969 levels.

I stood there, basking in the spectacle and - ever hopeful - intently scoping everything that flitted, when - WHOOOOSH! - I felt (and heard) a rush of wind as something pelted past my ear. What the f*** was THAT? I spun round and was just in time to see a Herring Gull disappearing over the cliffside hedge towards the sea with a juvenile Peregrine in hot pursuit! Then a high-pitched, insistent "kac-kac-kac" filled the air and two more Peregrines soared up from behind a towering crag. Then another; and before long I could see four Peregrines - two adults and two juveniles - all wheeling together. I watched them for a good half-hour as they soared to and fro, ever-protective of "their cliff", stooping at any Herring Gull that dared to come too close. One gull received the attention of two of the falcons at once and had a hard job escaping - I never knew Herring Gulls could be so agile! - but it was obvious that the falcons were only aiming to harrass, not to kill. Indeed, though they never perched once, they showed no signs of trying to hunt anything: they seemed to be simply revelling in being airborne.

It's not often a bird grabs me so much I can't tear myself away, but this was one occasion. There might have been a Spectacled Warbler in the bush next to me: I couldn't have cared less.

Last edited:
Excellent report, Jason. Enjoyed reading that. Peregrines are a particular favourite of mine. One of those moments you're not gonna forget in a hurry, eh?

Rich.

Jason,

Great stuff....

To me, that's what Birding is ALL about.
Places you love to be, and Birds you love to see...

Dave.

beautiful Jason o:)

that's what it's all about

hope u have many more days like that. B :)

lets hope no-one takes offence at your language! Well justified i reckon

I had a similiar moment at Berry Head last October. I was on my way to Sharkham Point (walking) and two Rock Doves flew up from a gully in the cliff in haste. I thought it was odd but was still quite relaxed until two or three Peregrines darted up in hot pursuit. I looked over the wire fence and ducked when the mother or father followed to keep tabs on it's young ones' learning. Fantastic, so I can imagine the sensation when you thought "What the f***!"

(Sadly they disappeared behind some scrub for me to see the engagement!)

Wow, thats a lot of peregrines at once, what a wonderful experience.
What great outing. Hope you have many similar trips.

Nice one Jason. My Saturday morning wasn't quite as exciting but I had a great walk through Hatfield Forest. Lots of common stuff, quite a few Bullfinch and Green Woodies and a very irritating Marillow Tit, which just looked enough different from the other Marsh but not quite Willow enough. Wasn't making a noise!!

Andrew said:
(Sadly they disappeared behind some scrub for me to see the engagement!)
Don't they always! Only once have I seen a peregrine actually catch anything: a Teal on the Hayle estuary last January (fortunately it wasn't the one with the vertical white flank-stripe!) and that wasn't the most spectacular stoop imaginable since the flock was on the ground. I did see a juvenile hit a pigeon once, but the obviously inexperienced bird tried to take it from below. Sent a lot of feathers flying, but the pigeon escaped.

Bluetail said:
Don't they always! Only once have I seen a peregrine actually catch anything: a Teal on the Hayle estuary last January (fortunately it wasn't the one with the vertical white flank-stripe!) and that wasn't the most spectacular stoop imaginable since the flock was on the ground. I did see a juvenile hit a pigeon once, but the obviously inexperienced bird tried to take it from below. Sent a lot of feathers flying, but the pigeon escaped.
Now you mention Hayle! I was there to see the winter rarities just this side of winter and a Peregrine scared the whole population but no actual attempt much to my disappointment!

Ain't we a bit cruel to want to see this spectacular natural event!?

Bluetail said:

Watched a Peregrine take out a Teal at Welney for GGBC2. The Peregrine sat outside the main obs for ages and then when it went up so did all the ducks etc (and there were hundreds of them) ..... bang one less Teal. Amazing sight.

pduxon said:
...and a very irritating Marillow Tit, which just looked enough different from the other Marsh but not quite Willow enough. Wasn't making a noise!!
I know that feeling well! Just don't get to see Willow Tit enough. Hmm... Think I might try for them next weekend.

I think you saw the photo of the Peregrine we had on the DevonBash?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back