• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saturday in the New Forest (2 Viewers)

birdman

Орнитол&
I took the opportunity of a visit to friends, to take myself off to the New Forest for a bit of birding.

For the the benefit of those whose are not familiar with the area, and for overseas members, the term "Forest" is used in the sense of "Hunting Ground" and "New" in the sense of "Old".

Of course, it was new once, but that was about 1000 years ago when it was set up as a Royal Hunting Ground for King Mumble the Somethingth - or whoever!

Anyway, from those beginnings, the Forest has survived until the present day, to give what I believe is a unique habitat, certainly within these small isles.

As I arrived within the Forest, my first notable bird sighting was a feeding flock of around 50 Rooks.

Driving further in, I became aware of numerous very sleepy foals. (Oh yes, the New Forest is famous for its horses. I believe all are "owned" but are essentially free to roam anywhere.)

Shortly, I saw the first of many Stonechats, looking absolutely superb in colour.

I decide to park at Bolderwood, but rather than take to the trees, I walked north to the heath, in the hope of finally tracking down a Dartford Warbler or two.

There was a large flock of Tits clost to the car-park, mostly juvenile blues, coals and long tails (maybe it was three flocks in the same place!).

And in the trees, a Chiffchaff.

As I turned from the road to the actual heath, I saw a couple of Woodpigeon, and became aware of many many birds around.

This Northern part of the Forest is not exactly tranquil, with the A27 tearing across it, but the background roar couldn't disguise the fact there were lots of birds about.

After sighting numerous Pipits (Trees I think - but I must remeber to check my video), I notice a flock of birds twittering in a clump of trees.

As I sat, and tried to id them (at least some were Whinchats) a grey hawk (Sparrowhawk) weaved between the trees.

It didn't appear to be on a hunt, but the trees cleared very swiftly indeed!

So I moved on and noticed a Buzzard soaring high overhead (V-shaped wings), and then in the next wooded section came across at leat 10 Treecreepers.

The walk back to the car gleaned juvenile Robin, Blackbirds Great and Blue Tits a Magpie or two, and Pied Wagtail - and maybe, just maybe the call of a Green Woodpecker.

Oh, but no Dartford Warbler!

I decided to move on to Beaulieu Road Station, parking at Shatterford - one of the most reliable locations for Crossbill.

And within five minutes I had seen numerous... House Martins! (And a Greenfinch).

OK... out to the heath again, and a walk around Bishop's Dike.

Although next to the South Coast Main Line, this part of the Forest is much further away from the cars, and as I reached Denny Wood, and the trees formed a wall, the air became quiet of unnatural noise, and all I could hear was birds.

Once again, the Tits were all around, and the long tails were particularly bold, as these little beauties can sometimes be.

Another Treecreeper was added to the list, and a Pheasant in the distance calling, but nothing else until returing to the car, and realising that at least some of the House Martins were Swallows.

Oh... and still no Dartford Warbler - but a really pleasant day out.

Anyway... I'm going back in a few weeks - anyone guarantee me one???

(PS. I've now got a cold and feel terrible - and of course, being a man, I'm really suffering! Harumph!)

Sounds like an interesting time there. I've never seen either a Crossbill or Stonechat ( or Dartford Warbler come to it).

The fact that there are lots of birds about lends hope for the Dartford Warbler next time I'd guess ...... but guarantee ...... lol

Carlos, where's the Crossbill?

Birdman, a crackin' day that was. If you want Darties come darn sarf here and I will find you some. I think the New Forest was grown for William the Conqueror.

Sounds like a pleasant day - it's somewhere I've never been.

Hope your cold (or is it flu?) subsides soon. I had one the other week and felt really grotty. The cough was the worst part - really chesty and ...... OK I'll shut up now - I wasn't looking for sympathy really!

Hi Birdman

I`m glad you had a pleasant time in arguably one of the best places in Britain(yes i`m biased).As regards Dartford warblers your best off scanning the tops of gorse bushes & listening for the scolded cat like call.

Regards Stevo.

Andrew said:
Carlos, where's the Crossbill?

Errmm ... ( ???? ) Well I assume it wasn't near Beaulieu Road Station, whilst Birdman parked at Shatterford.

Unless I've totally misread what he said ( ???? ) .....

Hi Birdman
Tips for Dartford Warblers

1. learn their call and 2. patience. Find yourself some suitable habitat with no people, dogs, mountain bikes crows or any other disturbance and sit, preferably on a calm bright day. Sit down and watch the top of the gorse.

You will soon realise that they are much more common than you think.

I haven't done much New Forest Birding for some years but the outside of Slufter's Enclosure used to be very reliable.

There are many places in Hampshire now outside of the forest where they are ever present but they can still be elusive, but sit and wait and they come.

Carlos, I now see the word Crossbill! I think because he he did not say he saw it, it did not register in my mind's mental list. I am sure Birdman meant as a winter site?

I have never seen a Crossbill and from what I have read it appears for the south of England they are a winter visitor. I hope someone will put us right. (Michael Frankis?)

Birdman, it sounds like a crackin' great day! Sorry about about the Dartford, tho, and your cold. Aren't summer colds the worst? But you're a big strong man, aren't you ..... stop your whining!! :)

Didn't some king die from hunting in New Forest -- badly (or deliberately?) aimed arrow or some such?

Mumble the Someteenth -- I love that!

Hey Birdman: I just have to say I love reading your tales of adventure. Thanks for the explanations for those of us overseas and the "Mumble the Somethingth" really cracked me up. Sorry you have a cold, but since you are a man, you are allowed to whine;) Hope you are feeling better soon and get to see your Dartford Warbler!
Becky

New Forest Birding.......

The new forest was formed for william the conqueror, the king shot there was william rufus, (hence the rufus stone) and there are plenty of snakes in there too. The Ponies belong to the commoners, who have the right to graze within the new forest boundaries, having regailed the facts, now for the birds:- I was delighted to hear there are "grey" hawks about, were they sparrow or gos hawks? although I've never seen crossbills( Scotland) methinks, and though Dartford warblers are there in reasonably good numbers I have yet to get lucky, and I live nearby!!! My biggest problem is getting to the inaccessible areas where they are more likely to be seen, so when you get there again, scramble forth amongst the gorse( leather leggins advisable) and wait patiently watching the tops of the gorse, I believe they tend to sing as dusk is falling, so then watch out for the nightjars, as they are very plentiful around there. Thinking of you for next time, Nina.

B :)

Well... missed work today 'cos of this cold (think it's a cold, not 'flu) - and unlike your good self d-b, I am touting for sympathy.

(I'm just waiting for someone to offer me some cheese to go with this whine!)

As for Crossbills, well my Where to Watch Birds in Dorset, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight (ain't that a snappy title!) says they a resident all year. But I didn't see any!

Thanks for the tips regarding Dartford Warblers, TrevorC - the only one I've seen is still the one on the book cover!

Carlos... I'm lucky enough to have seen a few Stonechats, even up here, but there are loads in the New Forest, so if you get over there, you won't be disappointed, I'm sure!

And finally, to my American Friends... I guess you noticed history isn't my strong suit!

(Cheers to everyone who filled in all the gaps!)

Hi Andrew

As regards Crossbills in the south of England,in the New Forest they can be seen most months of the year(if you know where to look)The two places Birdman has mentioned in his report are two of the better places in the forest to see Crossbills.

Regards Stevo.

Hi Andrew

Yes that`s right even in the warmer months,the breeding population is often boosted by irrupting birds June/July period.Also i`ve had birds singing & feeding youngsters in the New forest most of the time this sort of activity can be seen from the many paths that criss-cross the forest.If I can add one word of caution to Nina`s statement regarding wading into gorse to watch Darford warbler`s this is not a good idea it causes to much disturbance.The best way is to simply wait & look from one of the main paths the birds will eventually show,just listen for the call & keep scanning the tops of gorse bushes.Hope this helps.

Regards Stevo.

Stevo, Thanks for the pointer. I shall look out for them in forest sites in Summer as well as Winter. I agree about sticking to paths in Heathland sites too or anyother site for that matter.

sorry Stevo, didn't mean it litterally( wade forth into the gorse) I did mean using the animal tracks, and the reference to leather leggings, was against the razor like needles from the gorse, as if you've tried that in jeans you will understand that they force the needles into the skin and you will still be removing them a year or more later, as my beloved hubby found to his cost, when he slipped into a gorsebush by accident, wearing aforementioned jeans, we were still removing them 18months later. PAINFUL. sorry to have not made myself properly clear, as I would defend the privacy of nature utterly. Nina.

Hi all,

Beaulieu Road Station (and its surrounds) is one of my fav areas in the whole new forest area and yes it is known as one of the most reliable locations for Crossbill.

BUT I have shared in Birdman's pain. the last time, and only the other week I missed a small group of about ten by as many minutes....AHHHH.

However I was rewarded recently with excellent close-up views of Nightjar.(ie sitting 10 feet away on a low slung tree branch and 5 flying close to our heads). When you walk in an an areas like this you can see how ancient cultures can come up with spirits and demons.but goat sucker now thats going too far ;)

So much in one area. As far as D.warbler I havent seen as many this year as opposed to last. Is is just me or is the ares swarming with stone chats?

No doubt Ill be back there soon and hopefully see crossbills

happy hunting to all

Jock

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back