• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID- Southeastern Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

1horse2many

1horse2many
Alright,
I don't have a camera so I can't take a photo of the bird in question, but I am so curious to find out what it is.
I know it is ONE of two bird species, but I can't tell which.
It would make sense if it were a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak female, but it LOOKS exactly like a Black-Headed Grosbeak Female. Of course, there are no males in sight to help with the identification process :-C

It is a mid-sized bird with a greyish bill, a white eyebrow and a tawny-orange breast. NOT red.. and it covers the entire breast/chest area. Her wings are brown and she has some white across them. There are two females I have seen so far, they're eating black-oil sunflower seeds from my platform and hanging seed tube feeder. They're looky, but not scared.

I live on a river-side (directly along the river), nearby there is a forest and directly in my backyard, a large willow tree (where the seed tube hangs). There are lots of trees and brush to the left of my house alongside the river.

Any specifics (even photos of each lady!) would be very helpful. Like I said, I live in Southeastern Ontario, and the Black-headed Grosbeak is said to be a Western Bird.
I'm excited to see the male (if I get the chance to!).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back