• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Michael R.

Good Morning All, I'm sure that this question comes up a lot. I'm looking for a quality bino 8x (full sized, not pocket). I've seen the Swarovski EL's and like them, but they are pricey. Kahles seems like another option but I can't find a reliable online dealer (I emailed Kahles and they say they do not have any online dealer in the US). I'd really like to stay below $1,300. I really like Leupold products. Can someone kindly give me a recomendation? I need the binos for travel (photo safari in South Africa) as well. Thanks to all!!

Good Morning All, I'm sure that this question comes up a lot. I'm looking for a quality bino 8x (full sized, not pocket). I've seen the Swarovski EL's and like them, but they are pricey. Kahles seems like another option but I can't find a reliable online dealer (I emailed Kahles and they say they do not have any online dealer in the US). I'd really like to stay below $1,300. I really like Leupold products. Can someone kindly give me a recomendation? I need the binos for travel (photo safari in South Africa) as well. Thanks to all!!

Michael:
Welcome to Birdforum.
I had a Kahles 8x42 and they are a nice optic, but there are others that I
will recommend in your price range. One good choice in your budget would
be the Nikon Premiere or LXL 8x42. Take a look at the reviews at "Better View Desired". The Premiere is the new name for the LXL.
Nikon has the 25 year warranty, and for the high-mid-level choices these
are worth checking out.
Online places I have dealt with and recommend are SWFA and Cameraland,
don't be afraid of refurb. or demo Nikon, most are like new.
Prices seem to be $900-1,200.
Jerry

While at Better View Desired look at the review they have on the Leupold GR. This is the original GR, not the current GR with the HD glass. The Leupold is built like a tank and nobody does service better than Leupold. They are heavy, but nice glass.

NDH's Nikon recommendation is a good one too. Also in that price range is the Meopta Meostar.

All of the above look like very sturdy glass.

I had a pair of Zeiss 8x32's in the classified section for $1300 obo, but it looks like they may be sold. I'd go for a used alpha glass if I were you.

Michael,

The LX L is a VG bin for use in areas where it is often cloudy (like where I live), however, the full sized LX L's brightness tends to overwhelm the contrast on brightly lit targets, which in Africa, I'm sure there are many, and you lose detail.

There is also the issue of the "rolling ball effect," which is quite extreme on the full sized LX L, because it has no pincushion so if you are sensitive to it, you will see the images scroll over a curved surface while panning with the bins (I can even see it with the bins stationary).

Not everybody is sensitive to this effect, but just in case you are, you want to be able to return it w/out a restocking fee.

I personally would not recommend this model for a safari because of the contrast problem.

Since you like Leupold, there's a great buy at Cabela's on Leupold's top of the line Gold Ring roof that cost $1,000 when it was first introduced.

The second generation version has HD glass so chromatic aberration control should be much better than the LX L, which has excessive CA, IMO.

Unlike the LX L, the Gold Ring has shallow thumb indents which should make it more comfortable to hold. But it's heavier than the LX L @ 33.8 oz. so you will probably want to buy a binoharness. Some stores offer packages with reduced cost if you buy the bin with the binoharness. Ask Cabela's if they will do that.

I haven't tried this bin, but it has gotten VG reviews, including on Better View Desired, which Steve mentioned.

It's on sale at Cabela's for $679.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=cat601538_feat&id=0044455712728a&navCount=0&podId=0044455&parentId=cat603572&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233

Here's the review of the first version of the Gold Ring, which didn't have low dispersion glass.

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Leupold-Golden-Ring-8x42.php

[QUOTESince you like Leupold, there's a great buy at Cabela's on Leupold's top of the line Gold Ring roof that cost $1,000 when it was first introduced.

Plus, Loopy is offering a $100 rebate if purchased before the end of 2010, making it a remarkably good deal.

Hi Michael,

If you like the Swarovski 8x32 EL and can't justify the cost try the Meopta meostar 8x32 or 8x42. These are 98% as good as the Swarovski's and priced at $799 for the 32mm and about $850 for the 42mm

These outperform the Leupold GR's

Here's a good review on the 42 performance

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/kowa85x44.html

Cheers

Last edited:
Welcome to the bird forum Michael.If you're interested,I have a new pair of 10x32 GR HD's that I will let go for cheap.Found I can't hold 10x steady anymore.

hello Michael ^^,
I think you could consider a secondhand Swarovski EL, if they are defective, you can always sent them back to Swarovski to have some repair....^^

best regards

Galih ^_^

Meopta got some really good review and fit in your budget too. Another consideration is 8x43 ZEN ED2 for $400. I have a pair of 7x36 and I am very pleased with its performance. I went ahead and got another pair of 10x.

Another good pair will be Nikon EDG. I have seen a pair sold for $1400 on ebay before.

Michael,

I saw this thread and thought I would give you a heads up. I have a brand new pair of 8x32 EL's that were purchased last year and have never been used. I am going to be posting an AD for them soon and sell them for pretty close to what your price point is. Let me know if you are interested and want any pic's.

Stephen

For under your budget I would narrow it down to the Meopta, good used Swaro, Leica or Zeiss, or save a lot of money with a Zen ED II. I would also check out the certified pre-owned deals at Camerland NY on their demo page, I believe a like new 8x32 Ultravid is just under $1,000.00 and an HD right around your budget number.

John

Michael,

The LX L is a VG bin for use in areas where it is often cloudy (like where I live), however, the full sized LX L's brightness tends to overwhelm the contrast on brightly lit targets, which in Africa, I'm sure there are many, and you lose detail.

There is also the issue of the "rolling ball effect," which is quite extreme on the full sized LX L, because it has no pincushion so if you are sensitive to it, you will see the images scroll over a curved surface while panning with the bins (I can even see it with the bins stationary).

Not everybody is sensitive to this effect, but just in case you are, you want to be able to return it w/out a restocking fee.

I personally would not recommend this model for a safari because of the contrast problem.

Since you like Leupold, there's a great buy at Cabela's on Leupold's top of the line Gold Ring roof that cost $1,000 when it was first introduced.

The second generation version has HD glass so chromatic aberration control should be much better than the LX L, which has excessive CA, IMO.

Unlike the LX L, the Gold Ring has shallow thumb indents which should make it more comfortable to hold. But it's heavier than the LX L @ 33.8 oz. so you will probably want to buy a binoharness. Some stores offer packages with reduced cost if you buy the bin with the binoharness. Ask Cabela's if they will do that.

I haven't tried this bin, but it has gotten VG reviews, including on Better View Desired, which Steve mentioned.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=cat601538_feat&id=0044455712728a&navCount=0&podId=0044455&parentId=cat603572&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233

Here's the review of the first version of the Gold Ring, which didn't have low dispersion glass.

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Leupold-Golden-Ring-8x42.php

Brock:

Don't you think 33 + ounces is too much weight as you show the Gold Ring.
With the average weight for most 8x42 now a days around 28 ounces, that
one would be too heavy for many.

Your picture (avatar) has changed and I'm trying to figure out if you just got a haircut or a facial ?? :eek!:

Michael:
What you will find on a forum like this you will get many differing opinions
on what to buy, so I hope it is not too confusing for you.

I agree that a used alpha, Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica and Nikon premium is
a good choice, as your budget would allow some new or used in those.
If that is the case, warranty becomes important in used, and for these
names listed, Swarovski and Nikon will cover pre-owned, and are well
regarded.

Jerry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back