• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Understanding binoculars (1 Viewer)

BarryH

I'm a photographer who's only recently into birding, I now realise I also need a decent set of binoculars as well as all my camera gear.

When I look at binoculars there are so many terms and references I find hard to understand. Roof prisms, porro, eye relief etc. Can anyone point me to a site that may help or can anyone advise what I need to look out for?

The more I read the more I get confused.

I think you found the right place right here. I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago, then I found this site and the 24hourcampfire site.

Over on 24 hrcampfire, there are a few good articles on the home page by John Barnsness and Rick Bin that do a good job of teaching binos 101 to get you started. After you have a few basics down, you can do what I did and spend hours going through thread after thread here on birdforum. I looked at every Swift thread I could, plus all of the Nikon, Swaro, Leica and Zeiss. Then there are excellent more technical subjects that are sometimes over my head, but add to your knowledge of how optics work, and point out the fact that even at the very highest level, optics design is a balance of compromises.

Good luck with your search for bino knowledge.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back