• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low budget 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Sorensen

Hello;

I am looking for some waterproof binoculars to be used mostly in good light, brought along in a kayak, and I was thinking something around 8x32.

My local dealer (niobo.pt, just on friendly terms with them) can do Nikon Monach 8x36 at €224.90, or they have some Olivon 8x32 http://olivonmanufacturing.com/binoculars/pc-series in stock for €119.-.

Has anyone got experience with the Olivons? I _may_ be able to stretch the budget to the Monarchs (which seems to get a lot of nice words), but as we are rebuilding house and I am starting business any savings are welcome.

Any other suggestions?

TIA

Martin

I know the Bushnell Legends can be bought over here pretty cheap now? Not the best but, very durable fairly sharp and I wouldn't worry about dropping it in the water! The problem you get with cheaper brands are generally poor build quality! The Legend just happens to be built very well, Bryce...

Hello;

I am looking for some waterproof binoculars to be used mostly in good light, brought along in a kayak, and I was thinking something around 8x32.

My local dealer (niobo.pt, just on friendly terms with them) can do Nikon Monach 8x36 at €224.90, or they have some Olivon 8x32 http://olivonmanufacturing.com/binoculars/pc-series in stock for €119.-.

Has anyone got experience with the Olivons? I _may_ be able to stretch the budget to the Monarchs (which seems to get a lot of nice words), but as we are rebuilding house and I am starting business any savings are welcome.

Any other suggestions?

TIA

Martin

Go with the Monarch's except get the 8x42's. They are quite a bit better than the 8x36's.

The 8x42 monarch is very light weight and small. And really a nice birding binocular. Smooth focus and easy viewing. If I wasn´t such an optic snob I could be happy with the Monarch 8x42 for the rest of my life.

Try both in the store. Most decent binoculars can sell themselves in hand.

Problem is, that the Nikon has to be ordered - only the Olivon is in store. Generally, anything but the most basic is order only around here. And I am lucky having Niobo nearby, as they seem to be able to get most things at sensible prices (similar to Amazon.co.uk).

I think I will have a look though and at the Olivon - I am comparing to some ancient Kern 8X18 Porro :)

/Martin

Thank you, but the 8x42 are both heavier and more expensive, and I don't really need any of that - when at foot, I often bring a Nikon + Sigma 150 - 500, that is heavy enough.

/martin

The Nikon Monarch's 8x42 are less than 21oz. which is less than most 8x32's. If you watch E-bay UK they can be had for less than $200.00 shipped for a new pair. I got mine for $180.00. They are the best "cheaper" binocular I have tried.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back