• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Definition for "buffy ground color" (1 Viewer)

I have to translate "streaked on a buffy ground color" to spanish for an article.

I was wondering if anyone has a reference that clearly defines "buffy" when describing a bird.

Thanks beforehand,

Sergio Escutia
Mazatlan, Sinaloa, México.

I have to translate "streaked on a buffy ground color" to spanish for an article.

I was wondering if anyone has a reference that clearly defines "buffy" when describing a bird.

Thanks beforehand,

Sergio Escutia
Mazatlan, Sinaloa, México.

"pasado como un rayo en un color marrón ligero del suelo."
or
"pasado como un rayo en un color marrón pálido del suelo."

I think.

Regards

Malky

"I was wondering if anyone has a reference that clearly defines "buffy" when describing a bird."

Svensson (Identification Guide to European Passerines, 1992 ed) writes:

Buff is, of course, the a soft, velvety kind of leather (used for polishing cars) and the colour is meant to be one of the most commonly found on such leather, a pale yellowish-ochre, in some colour keys defined as the colour of the nape of the male Bobolink Dolichonyx oryzivorus. Thus the true buff colour is somewhat more yellow than most people realise, often believing it is a rather more sandy-brown hue"

Hope this helps but I fear it wont!

Dave

Added: as usage, rather than an accurate definition, is probably more important for your purpose whatever sandy-brown translates as might do.

Last edited:
Erik, I think you got it.

The term is found in van Rossem's description of Parabuteo unicinctus superior as subsp. nov. He was using the term to describe for comparison purposes, the underparts of P. u. harrisi immatures. Mike's translation "rayado sobre un color blanco sucio o amarillento" is a good description of "buffy" under this context.

Thanks to all.

Sergio Escutia

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back