• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TV60+adapter+Tring+DSLR-enough to start with? (1 Viewer)

Yes Televad, the TV60 will have the size/look and handle much like a 400mm zoom. After my post yesterday, I went to a camera shop to find some adapters for my Pentax digicam to use with my Kowa and Nikon fieldscopes. Even though it is only 5MP and about 5yrs old, I really like it for its ease of use and digiscoping friendly user interface.

Anyway, Pentax made its mark in camera history with medium format film cameras. Even today, I think medium format film is the camera of choice for pro landscape photographers. So I spent some time playing with the K20 and KM (K200 seems discontinued here) and I think I would REALLY like these for digiscoping through a TV60 if I were starting fresh with no legacy Nikon/Cannon baggage.

Both Canon and Nikon could take lessons from Pentax on ergonomic design, button layout, and a clear, easy MENU system. Sold here with nice lens kits too, including a 55-300mm zoom! I especially like the KM, but I just like small cameras. No LIVE VIEW, but I have not used it much on my D90 (nor the video feature) anyway since I like to shoot bursts of 3-5 pics and LIVE VIEW slows down the camera and is very noisy.

The only camera I would like more for digiscoping would be the Panasonic G1. A digiscopers dream with a 2x crop. Folks using BORG telescopes for digiscoping here are turning out some amazing pics. But it is expensive and getting adapters may be difficult.

hope this helps,
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back