• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Distortion and Glare in the Swarovski 8x32 EL Swarovision (2 Viewers)

They Conquest's control glare better than the Swarovski 8x32 SV. They are the best binocular for $800.00 or less. You have to move up to to an alpha for $2K to get a 5% improvement so I can see where you are coming from. When I had them I didn't love the ergonomics thinking they were a little blocky. But I shouldn't talk as I have a 10x42 IS Canon now which is like a brick.

Last edited:
Lee,

Nice picture! Just as sunny as we have had for most of the summer. Now that summer is almost over for us, it is finally warm and clear.

I didn't need glasses myself until in my mid-to-late forties. I have always been farsighted, but until then accommodation allowed me to focus. So, first I got reading glasses and then varifocals after I could no longer attain infinity focus without positive correction. However, for birding and other outdoor activities, as well as for sunglasses, I have bifocals, as I found the field of sharp view of the varifocals excessively restricted. For binocular and telescope viewing, I take even these off since I get a better image without them. This is possible since fortunately I have almost no astigmatism. I have considered contacts to avoid the hassle of taking glasses off and putting them on again, but haven't tried them yet.

But I still remember longingly how nice birding was when no glasses were needed. Those were the days…

Kimmo

Kimmo

(I have a Swedish pal called Kimmo that I used to work who I am still in touch with so I automatically start with Hej.... I should have remembered that Swedish is nothing like Finnish)

The pic was taken in October on a particularly bad day and we saw absolutely nothing other than one Kestrel and one Meadow Pipit. But on that holiday we had as many encounters with Otters as we normally do in a full year!

I am short-sighted and have astigmatism too, so I really need my glasses, and I have worn them for so many years now that I don't notice they are there most of the time. I have discovered that they can be adjusted up and down my nose by 1-2 mm which can help with ER and eyecup issues though which is cool.

I agree about the relative restriction of the viewing 'window' of bi-focals but I have discovered some Zeiss lenses that have a little larger 'window'. I think other brands probably allow this as well now.

I don't have any problems with the glasses and bins combo but my biggest problem is when looking at short flowers. I need to angle my head back to view through the close-distance segment at the bottom of the lens and when the subject is close to the ground it becomes impossible. Laying down a couple of meters away and looking through bins is a good solution.

Lee

I`v been somewhat disappointed with the veiling glare and flare issue in the 8x32SV, I am trying to minimise the issue with careful eye placement as and when it arises, I`v had some success but its still an issue.

Today I saw a fellow Birder I chat with infrequently, he uses an 8.5x42SV, we got chatting about the issue, he told me he had`nt noticed the glare in his SV and offered to let me try them.

After days of low cloud and rain here it turned bright and sunny today so I was pleased to have the offer.

I did`nt have mine to compare but to me the same problem was there in the 42mm, I can`t say it was better or worse but seemed about the same to me.

So how come nobody mentions the problem in the 42mm ?

I`v been somewhat disappointed with the veiling glare and flare issue in the 8x32SV, I am trying to minimise the issue with careful eye placement as and when it arises, I`v had some success but its still an issue.

Today I saw a fellow Birder I chat with infrequently, he uses an 8.5x42SV, we got chatting about the issue, he told me he had`nt noticed the glare in his SV and offered to let me try them.

After days of low cloud and rain here it turned bright and sunny today so I was pleased to have the offer.

I did`nt have mine to compare but to me the same problem was there in the 42mm, I can`t say it was better or worse but seemed about the same to me.

So how come nobody mentions the problem in the 42mm ?

Because it's much better.

If you wear glasses you can avoid the bulk of the glare in the 8x32 by shifting your eye up just slightly on those occasions where the glare makes its presence known. If you don't wear glasses my guess is you can do the same?

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back