• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds youve seen at work (1 Viewer)

It depends on what you mean by "what you have seen at work".

Indeed. I've seen a Nutcracker at work, working on a Pinus cembra cone to extract the seeds. They're not just playing, they work at it very industriously.

:king:

Attachments

• Picture 105b.jpg
    Picture 105b.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 66
It depends on what you mean by "what you have seen at work".

In this case I can add Moussier's Redstart and Barbary Partridge for instance, both seen at a construction site in Tunisia which I had to visit. But I think this is leading much too far, it should be restricted to the "office", wherever that is.

Great White Egret from the office window in Aberdeen a few years back. Subsequently seen a few miles up the road at a roadside puddle of some kind.

Had a very nice close view of a female Merlin from my train driving cab earlier this week. Last week's highlight was a Red Kite; ages since I last saw one whilst working.

Greetings from Pondicherry India.I work in a Medical college very near a birding lake called kazhuvelli.our campus has much greenery and when ever time permits one can see a lot of yellow breasted sun birds warblers golden oriole falcons munias and parrots.Its such a relaxing option as I work as a dialysis technologist.

Greetings from Pondicherry India.I work in a Medical college very near a birding lake called kazhuvelli.our campus has much greenery and when ever time permits one can see a lot of yellow breasted sun birds warblers golden oriole falcons munias and parrots.Its such a relaxing option as I work as a dialysis technologist.

Do you still get a lot of black kites in urban areas in India? I remember arriving in New Delhi late at night, waking up in the morning to about 20 kites circling around a small courtyard just outside my window. That was in 1981.

On a more prosaic note, I added sedge warbler to my 'office' list for the first time since we moved in 11 years ago.

Do you still get a lot of black kites in urban areas in India? I remember arriving in New Delhi late at night, waking up in the morning to about 20 kites circling around a small courtyard just outside my window. That was in 1981.

I've been to Lahore/Pakistan last spring (so almost India), and there were hundreds every day circling above the city. A really impressing sight and a real 'trash bird' down there!

I've had my suspicions for about 3 weeks now when a passerine fluttered past the window silhouetted against the light, and with what looked like a red tail. I didn't have my glasses on though so wasn't going to call it. Today, whilst making a cup of coffee, it had the decency to sit on a ledge in the sunshine - a stonking male Black Redstart

I've moved to a new desk at work that has a much better view and have just started a list. This was prompted by a sparrowhawk doing a display over the trees (a bird I normally only see the rear off as they disappear). Also on the 'sat at my desk list' is magpie, crow, buzzard, pigeon, heron. (until I take in some bins, I can only ID large birds!).

In the decade I've been on the site, I know I've seen: green woodpecker, kestrel, red kite, cuckoo, stonechat, robin, pied wagtail, blackbird, goldfinch, and swift. I need pay more attention to the common small stuff which I have almost certainly seen but which I failed to commit to memory.

I saw my first and only woodcock on the drive in one morning but just outside what i'm counting as the site boundary.

I got a mammal lifer at work yesterday, something I never thought would happen: Northern Bottlenose Whale out in the bay, but sadly it didn't seem to be in the best of health. I suppose Gyr Falcon is the best bird (maybe about 10 sightings in all from my window). The default bird from work is Raven in winter, Lesser Black-backed Gull in summer and Starling all year round. Regular seasonal visitors to the balcony at work include Snow Bunting in winter and White Wagtail in summer.

Black Redstart once from a Milton Keynes office window was memorable.
The best from my days at the BBC in West London was Waxwing, Peregrine, and a Reed Warbler.
Work from home now, so I get to see what is eating all the bird food. A Stock Dove just over the fence this week was a long overdue first for the "from the house" list (it managed to hold out longer than Woodcock, Nightjar, Waxwing and Osprey!)

A flock of lesser redpolls feeding on alder cones outside our first floor window brightened up a cold day at the office today. We also get siskins and goldfinches - the value of planting food sources for birds in commercial office landscaping schemes.

Black redstarts and gyr falcons at work... crikey, that's next level stuff. To think I was thrilled to see a couple of great black-backed gulls from my window the other week!

I don't normally keep lists but I thought I would have a tot up of species I have seen from my train driving cab. If I only include species where I have been certain of the ID, I make it eighty six. Having a mobile office helps especially when my mobile office regularly passes through part of a RSPB reserve and alongside a couple of large river estuaries. I do see a lot of small birds though that I just don't have time to identify.

My most memorable was driving down the A1, Newcastle to Durham for a work meeting (so just about stays on topic), and a White Stork flew past just beyond the opposite carriageway, mobbed by a few Gulls. Sadly it was later seen again and found to be an escape, but what made me smile was the brakes going on in front of me.. There was definitely another birder ahead of me in the traffic!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back