• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a sparrow? (1 Viewer)

louisberk

They are quite uncommon in London but this one seems to be the size of a wren/goldcrest and the beak looks too sharp. If not, what is it?

_1033570.jpg

I can understand the query Louis, as it is hard to see the long tail following the branch, leaving the bird looking smaller than it is. Good clear photo of the dunnock, nonetheless.
H

OK, right, I see that now. It was smaller than most Dunnocks I have seen. A juvenile, perhaps?

Once they can fly, passerines (songbirds) are generally the same size as adults. Its notoriously difficult to judge size sometimes and a common pitfall in birding. To ID a juv. one has to look at plumage details.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back