• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

35mm Nikon SLR advice please (1 Viewer)

Duke Leto

Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that s
I know someone can help me on this one

Having never owned a Nikon 35mm SLR (was a Contax man prior to D-SLR) I'm looking for a 35mm camera for my daughter. She starts 'A' level photography in the autumn and I need to supply a camera. Was thinking of a Nikon body so she could dip into my pool of lenses if needed so my task is simple;

Find a Nikon SLR that is MF but poss with AF, that has manual, AP and SP settings with a reasonably high flash sync speed 1/250+ Will the body accept my standard 18 - 70dx and 70-200VR lenses? I suppose the newer the body the more likely the backward compatibility.

Any suggestions appreciated but not an F5, what is the F90X like?

Regards

Steve

It's been i while since i had a 35mm nikon, (just came back into photography last year with my DSLR) but as i understand it:-

18-70DX will be a no no on any film body as it is a DX lens and will not cover the whole frame on film

300 afs should be ok

70-200VR would need to be used on a newer film body as is a 'G' type lens with no apeture ring and i don't think the 90x is compatible fully, and you wouldn't be able to set the apeture.

I would say a F100 would be ideal (since you say no to an f5 ;) ) other than that an F80, but they are so cheap now compared to when they were new i would go for the F100 myself, oh F100 has no built in flash compared to F80 not sure if that would pose a problem.

Rog

Duke Leto said:

Having never owned a Nikon 35mm SLR (was a Contax man prior to D-SLR) I'm looking for a 35mm camera for my daughter. She starts 'A' level photography in the autumn and I need to supply a camera. Was thinking of a Nikon body so she could dip into my pool of lenses if needed so my task is simple;

Find a Nikon SLR that is MF but poss with AF, that has manual, AP and SP settings with a reasonably high flash sync speed 1/250+ Will the body accept my standard 18 - 70dx and 70-200VR lenses? I suppose the newer the body the more likely the backward compatibility.

Regards

Steve

Steve, It sounds like your talking about film here. Nikon is not making film bodies anymore but I would think a used F100 would be great.

If you go digital be aware the D40 does not have a screwdriver for the older screw type focus Nikon AF lenes.

I sold my F100 for $350US. Ebay is listing them around $400.

The F90X is a pretty good camera. It is a 1992 design and the forerunner of the F100.

Two cameras stand out for your requirements, the F801s and F90x.
I use the F801, and love it.
I'm not far from you (Essex) If you fancy meeting up and trying your lens on the body,to see if they are compatable, feel free to pm me and arrange it.
Secondhand, both cameras are available at obscene low prices compared to pre -dslr times, and neither will dissapoint.

Duke Leto said:

Regards

Steve

Check out my ad on Bird Forum at this web link.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=80650

Open to offers, could be the answer you're looking for.

nirofo.

I bought the F90 when it first came out and although I have a DSLR I still shoot lots of black and wite film through this camera, it has never let me down.
I don't have a DX lens so cannot comment on these but all my other lenses function fully with this camera including the Sigma 500mm prime. I notice in the camera shops with the motor drive they are around £100, you should get them cheaper than that.

A worthy buy.

Chris.

Chris.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back