• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

P&S camera for Televue TV60 (1 Viewer)

TeleVad

Hello everybody, I'm new to digiscoping and since I live far from West (Kazakstan, former USSR), I have some problems getting good equipment for
digiscoping. Thanks to a friend of mine, who is going to US soon, I should be
able to get some stuff.
After having absorbed a great deal of information, I decided to get Televue TV60 (birding kit). 1st reason being first class optics, 2nd - portability (my friend has limitation in that) 3rd - its multi purposeness (both for astronomy and birding). OK, this option is clear.
But a camera. I still have some doubts concering the basic principles. So I would be very obliged if anyone could help with some info.
1) Can a P&S camera (like Nikon P5100) be matched with TV60 (which has in standard set 1 8-24zoom ocular, and one 5mm) by means of digiscoping adapter, which will give me great range of magnifications
2) Or I should think toward a decent DSLR camera, which connects to TV60 by set of rings?
The problem is that I should clarify this before the man goes to US,
so any advice would be of great value,
thanks in advance

Skip the point and shoot digicams and get a dslr. The Nikon D40 at the current USA price is a bargain compared to the premium digicams now. The D60 will give you ~2x more megapixels useful for cropping and the Canon 450D offers excellent astrophotography features.

For birding, you will need longer focal length than the TV60 native so you will need to shoot either afocal thru and eyepiece and camera lens OR using positive/negative projection thru an eyepiece or Powermate/barlow and the camera body. TV makes t-ring adapters for their eyepieces and Powermates to allow direct connection to your dslr body. Check their website for details or call the Naglers directly. Both Al and his son David love to talk to overseas customers.

Happy new Year!
Rick

Thank you RJM for your informative reply,
Yes I agree now that I need DSLR, but what I learned today from televue.com
was I really need only one their adapter for prime focus+standard T-ring and this setup
will serve me as 360mm photo lens (about 7x mag). Matched with, say, Nikon D60 it would be more than enough to start, I guess. Fast, and handheld, what do you think?
Thank you once more.

here are a couple links to the TeleVue page for offerings they have for camera connections,, would tour the site for additional information,,

http://www.televue.com/BirdScope/Tables/TelescopesAccess4DaBirds.htm

http://www.televue.com/BirdScope/images/index.htm

that Cardinal head photo is one of mine that they have been using for many a year,, was taken with a Nikon 990 and my TV85 around 2001,,

I find my Nikon P5000 and my Olympus E3 have advantages and disadvantages,,

for the P5000 the Nikon UR-E20 will screw directly to the 28mm TV camera adapter and mount over a variety of TV eyepieces offering a wide selection of powers,,

the E3 I use in afocal (no eyepieces) but can slip a 2" barlow in place of the extension tubes for greater powers,,

if I could only have only one it would be the E3 DSLR as I use that camera for many other photography needs,,

Derry

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back